vBulleting in .Mac (iweb)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jota73, Jan 2, 2008.

1. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

I was wondering if it is possible to have a forum using vBulletin (same as macrumors) and hosting this on my .Mac account?

I understand that webserver must support PHP and I have to upload by DB in MySql... I really dont know much on programming. Could anyone give me a hand?

thanks
    Juan

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I don't think .Mac offers access to a MySQL server or PHP support, so I think you're out of luck on using .Mac to host the bulletin board. You could find a third-party host and publish your site via iWeb to it (as long as you have iLife '08) or you could publish your static site to your .Mac hosting site and link to the bulletin boards you create on another site.

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I could be wrong but I do not believe .mac has support for mySql.

I have not seen any admin page that refers to page setting type whether it be .aspx, html, php, cfm, jsp, etc, or a db admin page.

Maybe the family account admin page but on a regular one there's no setting or anything that allows db connections.

If .mac DOES support .php pages but not mySql you might want to look at a hosting provider just for the database storage and create a remote connection (the vbul installation should prompt you or tell you where to put this url) but again, I don't think .mac supports php.

At best you'll need a hosting site to host your message board and link it or contain it in an iframe on your .mac/iweb webpage.

4. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Even if you could host the PHP pages on .Mac, I'd suggest against opening a MySQL database to remote access from another server. Most hosts won't allow it, and it multiplies your security concerns in setting up the database. There are plenty of hosting companies that offer packaged bulletin boards with their hosting accounts that are very easy to setup with pretty much no technical knowledge.

5. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

ok, cananyone point me to any option, I am on a budget and have checked some options but look overpriced...29 to 50 month!!?

6. 7031 macrumors 6502

That's a bit high eh?

Try hostgator.com. Had them for a year now and their support has been excellent.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

A Small Orange has worked very well for me. I'm on their $5/month plan (and use PHP and MySQL to host my WordPress blog). The few times I've needed their help, they were extremely responsive (and personable). :)