VCD Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bertomactic, Jun 21, 2014.

1. bertomactic macrumors member

bertomactic

I created a VCD slideshow with music using Windows Movie Maker for my girlfriends Pre-K class year slide show. The VCD played fine on my "PC" and on my TV. She took it to school and told me later that the VCD didn't work. I said what are you talking about i tested that thing. She said when I put it into the "MAC" lab top it didn't work !?!?! My fault for assuming she was going to use a PC. I didn't know she had a Mac in her classroom. Anyway, it it safe to assume the a Windows program wont work in a Mac ? And does Mac have a similar program to Windows Moviemaker that is "Free" to download as i may have to redo the slide show.

Thank You !!!!

2. simsaladimbamba

iMovie is included with every new iMac since a decade or so, but the easier alternative would be to use VLC Player for Mac to play the VCD.
    If you have to do it again, maybe export a MovieMaker sequence as MP4 or if you have to AVI or WMV file, as they are more compatible than the 1990s VCD format.

Though if you go the easy route of using VLC, use the older 1.1.12 version: http://www.oldapps.com/mac/vlc_player.php?old_vlc_player=9550?download
    Once open, go to File > Open Disc > VCD and select the VCD path.

3. bertomactic thread starter macrumors member

bertomactic

i will try some of these things just to see what happens and to learn some new stuff but i don't think I should download any applications to my girlfriends laptop as it is actually property of her school district and she has to turn it in next week. I would rather use my old Mac Quick Silver (933 Mhz- don't laugh) to redo the slide show. However, I don't see iMovie within the applications and i really don't think it was installed. Can i down load it ?????

Thanks

4. simsaladimbamba

Okay, if you do not want to install VLC Player, which is not a system invasive app, thus needs no system access or administrative rights, the second easiest solution would be to output an MP4 file from Windows Movie Maker, since the preinstalled QT Player can play such file easily.

As for iMovie, since your QS PowerMac from 2002 has Firewire and iMovie 2 was bundled with such Macs, it might be on one of the Restore CDs.
    The export as MP4 option for WMM seems to be the simpler solution as to rebuild the movie in an older version of iMovie, but if you have iMovie on one of the discs and don't mind the extra time and WMM on your Windows PC does not offer the MP4 export option as some guides indicate it should offer, editing it again is the third and most complex option.