VCd to DVD - digital artifacts :(

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi folks,
    wondering if you could help me out. Client wanted a vcd transferred to DVD. Their DVD player won't play Vcd
    So I used MPEG Stream clip to rip the Vcd into a.MOV brought it into a Final Cut then made the m2v

The problem is there are plenty of digital artifacts / pixelation througout. It's not entirely throughout the movie but it's definitely annoying

Is there another piece of software to try or maybe it's because we're going from a VCD to DVD ?

Cheers
    Keebler

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. VCD is highly compressed using the lossy multiplexed MPEG-1 compression scheme. The NTSC branch has resolution of 352x240. The PAL/SECAM branch resolution is 352x288. Either is worse than S-VHS. The takeaway message is that the resolution is not there. There is no way for you to get it back in the conversion from VCD to DVD.

3. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Hi MisterMe.

Thanks. I know I can't unfortunately. Just trying to avoid the digital atrifacts that pop up. I should clarify that the picture quality is actually pretty good, but there are these artifacts which are really abnormal. I'll see if i can post a pic, but that's more my concern.

I did point this out to the customer in the beginning, but just trying to find another possibly cleaner solution :)

Cheers,
    keebler

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The artifacts are a consequence of the fact that VCD is extremely low-resolution. As I said before, it has lower resolution than S-VHS. In fact it comes in about the same resolution as VHS. There may be ways to transcode the video to mask pixelation, but it will be at the expense of some other kind of artifact. Trying to "improve" the quality of a VCD really is a fool's errand.

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Perfect. That's what I thought and wanted to confirm. Thanks !