VCN (Remote control over Mac) Hacking Risk

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by M-B-P, Jun 14, 2010.

1. M-B-P macrumors regular

Hey,
    I was interested in using a VCN server with the Mocha app, which basically lets you use your mac from you iPod touch/ iphone where ever you are as long as you have internet connection. I just wanted to know if there is some serious risk in using programs of that sort. Would someone be able to hack into mac and steal my personal files/information.

What can I do to protect myself from hackers while using a VCN server. Is there a safe way to go about this?

If you guys want to see why I am so concerned just search "VCN hack" on google and read about some of the hacking nightmares that people have gone through. For instance: http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...mputer-security/209394-can-vnc-hack-stop.html

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's VNC, VCN. Yes there are many risks to it as VNC is by default transmitted unencrypted so it's easy for someone to intercept the traffic and even pick out the user name and password you use to connect. If possible, you should create a SSH tunnel between the two locations in order to encrypt all the traffic. There's a number of tutorials for SSH tunneling on Mac if you search.

3. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, so i'm assuming it is only at risk when I actually have the server connected to the other device(ipod Touch) or is it always at risk since i have the VNC server on my mac and run use the server on occasion?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's always at risk as long as the VNC server is running, not just when you're connected.

5. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

I see, I tried setting it up last night, got it to work, and then got kinda paranoid after finding those article so I used appZapper to uninstall the VNC server application, VNC vine. So i'm guessing that means the the server was deleted too, taking away that risk, right.

Sorry for asking such noobish questions. I'm pretty new with these type of configurations on my computers so I'm just trying to be safe. I appreciate your help though. :)

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes, if you uninstalled the VNC server, then it can't run and so won't leave you vulnerable. However, OSX has a built-in VNC server. From System Preferences, go to Sharing, and look for the item named Screen Sharing. If that's checked, then the built-in VNC server is running.

7. M-B-P thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot. It really helped.

8. mjugend macrumors newbie

This is an urgent question ;-(

I'm traveling in some crazy countries and while in Syria my computer started to act strange, they told me that the gov. there interferes in your computers, I don't know what they do, but for sure they did some to mine. Since I arrived in Damascus I cannot access some programs, I cannot chat, etc. Now i discovered some strange sharing names in the finder, I never authorized anyone. One of them shows that is connected as: VNC would that be a hack, if so, how do I get rid of them?

I attached a pic of the finder to show what I see.

Please help me ASAP, since I'm still traveling in those crazy countries of the Middle East and I don't have anybody to help me here.

Thanks for any help.

M. Jugend
    mjugend@hotmail.com

Attached Files:

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That's not them connected to you using VNC. VNC is how you would connect to them if you click the Share Screen button there. The other machines listed there are likely just other people on the same network as you. Just because you can see them doesn't mean they have access to your machine.

Chat programs can be blocked easily by internet providers so I don't see anything fishy going on with your machine.