VCR to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MrAdam, Oct 8, 2007.

1. MrAdam macrumors newbie

Hello,

Wanting to watch videos through my MacBook Pro, I recently purchased a KWorld DVD Maker USB2.0, having read that it is compatible with Mac. However, I have just discovered that it isn't. I tried installing the software in Windows Parallels, but I can't get any picture through from my VCR. Does anyone know if there is another program which might work? Or is there another inexpensive Mac-specific cable that I could use? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

What do you consider inexpensive? There are several different brands of A/V to firewire converter boxes out there...
    Datavideo DAC-1xx, Canopus ADCV-110, etc etc..
    They are really great, but they do not tolerate bad data very well.

I used a DAC-100 to import my VHS tapes, and on very old home video where there was several overwrites of previous recordings, and damage to the tape, it would lose sync quite frequently and not record. It would still play just fine in a VCR though. I solved that problem by outputting the VCR signal to a Tivo and using the tivo to record it.

Good luck

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I second the Canopus ADVC-110. DV is a little large for this day and age but it works well.

4. MrAdam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. I am looking more for something similar to the device that I already purchased, which cost around £20. Or, perhaps, some software that might work with the adapter that I already have. I don't need anything fancy, just something with which I can view videos through my MacBook while I'm living in student accommodation without a TV.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ya gets what you pays for. Hows the return on investment on the 20 quid unit so far?

6. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I got a Miglia Director's Cut from eBay (Miglia have stopped making them). It converts SCART to DV, allowing you to capture VHS, or whatever (straight to iMovie; no extra software required). But, as indicated by a previous poster, it tends to crap-out at bad data, eg, flickers or noise on the VHS tape.

Apparently some DV camcorders with an aux input will also do the same job.

However, the best solution I have found is to record the VHS tape onto DVD using a domestic DVD recorder, which can be picked up cheap enough. Then rip to the Mac. DVD recorders don't encrypt so the ripping bit will be easier than (and actually legal) ripping a commercial DVD. I actually use Toast 8 for this bit.

HTH
    SL

EDIT: Or consider an Elgato EyeTV... one with a video-in. Not sure of the exact model, go check out the Elgato website. Then you can watch proper TV too. Just don't forget to buy a TV Licence! :)