Vector Drawing App for Hobbyist

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ClaudiusGalenus, May 21, 2009.

1. ClaudiusGalenus macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I am a hobby web developer/designer. I will buy an iMac in the next few weeks/month (as soon as Snow Leopard is out), switching from a Vista/Ubuntu-Combo. I am now in the process of reconsidering my software choises for OS X. It was a bit hard, having no way to test the apps and being all new to it, but so far I could find almost every equivalent to what I was used to from a perspective of what I really need in the programs. From what I read, it's clear I will not use X11 apps and no Adobe apps out of several reasons, among others the poor integration and the lack of localization per user by Adobe (which is very relevant to me).
    Aptana Studio --> Coda
    GIMP --> Pixelmator
    Office 2007/Openoffice.org --> iWork
    Picasa --> iPhoto
    Audacity --> Garageband

Now if I could only decide on a vector drawin app. There are lots of reviews out there, most of the a little bit outdatet and some apps are evolving fast. But the huge problem is, I never used such an app before. I will only need it for some stuff on web pages and don't need an exchange with Illustrator format or so. I am not a professional and Illustrator is overprised for me. Actually I am searching a slimmer version of such an app. Someone in the forum called it a "Illustrator Express". So far I found these apps, but couldn't decide:
    Intaglio --> could not find comparisons to others, looks a bit outdated
    Lineform --> some rumor on the forums, it would be nearly dead, nearly no activity since 2006, looks a bit outdated, nearly no function-icons on the screenshot
    Vectordesigner --> one good and one bad review, won some kind of price 2008
    Eazydraw --> was comparable in a review to vectordesigner, bad review in a forum
    Drawit --> just one biased review
    ZeusDraw --> hard to estimate program, looks a bit outdated
    OmniGraffle --> is it only for charts/diagrams or is it suited for free bezier drawings as well?

I would appreciate any comment/experince (and, no, Illustrator CS 3 would be no option to me).
    Many thanks

Galen

2. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

My vote is for Intaglio - I have been using it for several years for scientific drawing. It is no-frills but at the same time pretty powerful. Importantly, it is also convenient to use because it draws (so to speak) keyboard shortcuts from the old MacDraw program. As a result, everything is where it should be.

There are a couple of things that I would like to see in the next revision, but Intaglio is the best (IMO) of all drawing apps that I have seen for my purpose.

Oh, and for diagramming you might want to take a look at OmniGraffle.

Final word: there are trial versions for all of the programs - download and see for yourself what you like best.

3. ClaudiusGalenus thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I can't test them. I yet have no macintosh. But thanks for the quick reply.

Galen

4. ClaudiusGalenus thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any other opinions? How about OmniGraffle? Looks interesting. Is it only for charts or is it also for free bezier drawings?
    Thanks in advance

Galen