Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katoosh

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
it "works" for me on iphone 4 ios 4.0 , but when using vnc viewer my mouse cursor does not match up correctly to the cursor that is shown on the phone. anybody know what's up?

jimsong

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2010
cursor position

Since the iPhone 4 resolution is exactly double that of older iPhones in each direction, Veency interprets your mouse position at (320, 480) as the bottom right corner of the iPhone screen. However (320, 480) on an iPhone 4 is actually smack dab in the middle of the display. Therefore, when you put your local cursor in the middle of the iPhone 4 VNC window, Veency puts the remote arrow cursor at the bottom right corner. It's clear that Veency is not aware that the iPhone 4 resolution is not 480 x 320 and the program needs to be updated. For now, just move your cursor halfway from the top left to where you want it to be.

JazJon

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
Since the iPhone 4 resolution is exactly double that of older iPhones in each direction, Veency interprets your mouse position at (320, 480) as the bottom right corner of the iPhone screen. However (320, 480) on an iPhone 4 is actually smack dab in the middle of the display. Therefore, when you put your local cursor in the middle of the iPhone 4 VNC window, Veency puts the remote arrow cursor at the bottom right corner. It's clear that Veency is not aware that the iPhone 4 resolution is not 480 x 320 and the program needs to be updated. For now, just move your cursor halfway from the top left to where you want it to be.

Is an update on the way?

I just tried veency thanks to this article
http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/724314-using-veency-deal-reception-loss.html

but I was surprised when it didn't work well on the iPhone 4!

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Yeah it needs to be updated. Its super laggy, the mouse cursor is off and you cant even launch the camera. before on my 3gs I could launch the camera and see what was around my iphone. with the iphone 4 this would be superuseful since it has front and back cameras. however when you launch the camera the screen is all black and you only see bitch and pieces of what the camera sees. as if the screen cant refresh fast enough.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
The lag doesn't bother me, it's the lack of proper resolution, making the cursor useless, which renders the app unusable. The point is to be able to control my iphone from my desktop when the iPhone is in my pocket, but if clicking on the screen doesn't equate to clicking the same spot on the iphone it's like wearing a blindfold trying to start an app hehe... who designs this app? I haven't seen anything about it being updated even though it seems like it'd be a relatively simple update, right?

Are there any alternative apps that do the same thing available out there?

plaskey

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
I was also annoyed by the cursor offset problem but I found an acceptable workaround for now. Simply turn ON the remote cursor and turn off the local cursor. Then you see where the pointer really is on the iPhone 4. It's not perfect and there will be a brief moment of disorientation as you move your cursor from your desktop into the VNC client window. Still, it works.

I am using TightVNC Portable 1.3 over WiFi with:
Encoding: Tight
Use 8 bit color
Scale by 50%
Track Remote Cursor Locally
No Local Cursor

I am still hoping that Saurik will update this as well as some of his other apps but no one knows for sure. He has not answered any tweets on the subject so far.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I was also annoyed by the cursor offset problem but I found an acceptable workaround for now. Simply turn ON the remote cursor and turn off the local cursor. Then you see where the pointer really is on the iPhone 4. It's not perfect and there will be a brief moment of disorientation as you move your cursor from your desktop into the VNC client window. Still, it works.

I am using TightVNC Portable 1.3 over WiFi with:
Encoding: Tight
Use 8 bit color
Scale by 50%
Track Remote Cursor Locally
No Local Cursor

I am still hoping that Saurik will update this as well as some of his other apps but no one knows for sure. He has not answered any tweets on the subject so far.

Huh? Look at the iPhone screen to see where the cursor is? That defeats the entire purpose of this app. It's so u can control your phone WITHOUT looking at it... jeez. lol

vonPalm

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Different networks

Hi, I work offshore and I'm not allowed to bring my phone to work. Big problem for me - I can't check my calls and text messages when I go to work. I thought veency could be a solution, but I only manage to connect to my iphone if computer and iphone are connected to the same wireless network. Is it possible to veency into my iphone while connected to another network?

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Hi, I work offshore and I'm not allowed to bring my phone to work. Big problem for me - I can't check my calls and text messages when I go to work. I thought veency could be a solution, but I only manage to connect to my iphone if computer and iphone are connected to the same wireless network. Is it possible to veency into my iphone while connected to another network?

Yes you can. You'll probably need to set up portforwarding on the wifi network the iPhone is connected to so you can VNC in

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Yes you can. You'll probably need to set up portforwarding on the wifi network the iPhone is connected to so you can VNC in

it's a big pain... lol... best to be on the same network. And if you aren't allowed to have an iphone on the network, you probably aren't allowed to modify the network's IP forwarding, lol

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
it's a big pain... lol... best to be on the same network. And if you aren't allowed to have an iphone on the network, you probably aren't allowed to modify the network's IP forwarding, lol

It varies by router really but it should be straightforward. Plus he only needs to set up portforwarding for the network the iPhone will be on, which I assume would be the one he has control of.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
Veency updated! Cursor now works

Just FYI for anyone following this thread - Veency was recently updated, the cursor now tracks properly on iPhone 4

vonPalm

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Moussekater, thanks for your tip. I tried to do this, but unfortunately, Bella was right (in a way). I am allowed to have my iPhone at home, but I live at a students dormitory so they own the LAN server which I don't have access to, I only have access to my own wireless router. I tried it anyway, but probably the server are blocking the port (5900) I try to forward. Couldn't make it work..

BUT I solved it anyway, post it here, maybe it helps someone in the same situation..

I set up an old computer to never enter sleep mode, and connected it to the same wireless network as my iPhone. From this pc I can remotely control my iPhone via veency. Then I am remotely controlling this pc with teamviewer, from any pc connected to internet. There is probably an easier solution, but at least this one works.

lolrelease

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
The software is working for me. Resolutions is fine but for some reason I continue to get disconnected. I'm running 4.1 iphone 4, Some days it works fine and other days I can't keep a connection for more then three screen changes.

Anyone know why continue to get disconnected? I restart my desktop, I restart the iphone and nothing seems to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.