Vegan Wool?

Falhófnir

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 19, 2017
Now this did make me chuckle, particularly as they got the nomenclature wrong (Wool in this instance is a corruption of Welle, meaning well, or spring).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vegan-wool-village-dorset-english-peta-animal-cruelty-sheep-a8648176.html

Though it did make me wonder what 'cruelty free wool' is - polyester? I don't think most Dorset sheep really have too much to complain about being clipped, particularly during a summer like we've just had - quite the opposite in fact! I think I'd rather wool than artificial fibres that get swept into water bodies every time you put a piece of clothing in the wash! :p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Now this did make me chuckle, particularly as they got the nomenclature wrong (Wool in this instance is a corruption of Welle, meaning well, or spring).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/vegan-wool-village-dorset-english-peta-animal-cruelty-sheep-a8648176.html

Though it did make me wonder what 'cruelty free wool' is - polyester? I don't think most Dorset sheep really have too much to complain about being clipped, particularly during a summer like we've just had - quite the opposite in fact! I think I'd rather wool than artificial fibres that get swept into water bodies every time you put a piece of clothing in the wash! :p
I agree with you; shearing sheep in summer is no cruelty to them, and allows us to wear something that is actually natural.

Polyester is an appalling material; certainly, my skin is unable to breathe when wearing it - actually, these days, and years, and decades, I no longer do so.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I suppose it’s possible that large industrial wool farms don’t carefully sheer such that the process cuts and injures the sheep. But done properly, I can’t imagine why anyone would think it’s cruel.
Done properly, it does not hurt the sheep, indeed, instead, it takes a 'weight' off the sheep in summer; after all, quite number of animals with winter coats shed them in summer.

While - to my mind - it is an absolute abuse to slaughter beautiful and rare animals for their hide, or pelt, shearing sheep does not fall into that category.

And good wool - when woven - can help to keep us warm during the winter months.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Agree with everyone’s thoughts here. When I was vegan (almost vegetarian now), I never jumped on the PETA mentality on purpose. I went that route for my health and continue to do so. Animal (like human) cruelty is awful, but you do get more bees with honey.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe