Vegans....how do you guys do it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by B777Forevar, Jul 27, 2011.

1. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

My girlfriend, a vegetarian, tried going vegan for a week but she couldn't do it. 6 days into her little experiment, she craved in and ate some ice cream, and drank chocolate milk.

This has led me thinking on how do you Vegans survive w/o milk, eggs, cheese, etc? I tried some vegan pizza, and it tasted like crap. What's so wrong about using dairy products?

I do admire your commitment though :)

side note, I personally could not survive on this earth without a medium rare steak :D

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Another question: How can you survive without the heavenly food known as bacon?

3. StvenH90 macrumors regular

Meh, I find my self eating more fruit and veggies now that I live alone... Matter of fact, I may go a few days with out meat. My favorite fast meal is bowl of oats with cut up mixed fruit...

I don't drink milk, but I like soy milk with cereal. I think my vegan friend drinks soy, I'm not sure.

I am not vegan or a vegetarian. I am just stating, I think they drink/eat a lot of man made proteins.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I don't.

Orthodox Jews/Muslims do.

Of course that was before modern slaughtering/refrigeration techniques. ;)

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Damn right. In fact, I have started a new sect of Judaism in which everything isn't kosher except bacon.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Must be a guy thing. I just ... don't like bacon. :eek:

7. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

:eek:*Gasp* how can you say you do not like bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:
    What has this world come to.:p

8. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I could definitely survive without it, as it's not really that good, but it's okay.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Lucky for you most guy also like fish.

10. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

11. (marc), Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

(marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bacon is one thing, but Iberico ham quite another. Whenever I contemplate vegetarianism (which is rarely enough, although I'm not much of a carnivore), I ask myself whether I want to forego the joys of Iberico ham for the rest of my life. And the truth is, I don't.

BTW, re your location signature, I agree that Innis & Gunn is one of life's true pleasures; I just discovered it this summer, and have been quaffing happily since. For the duration of the summer, it has even displaced fine Ripasso......

To the OP, to my mind, going dairy free is a step far too far. Whatever about a meat free diet, (and I have tried out vegetarianism, and very strongly support the idea of respect for nature, humane treatment of the animals and fowl we slaughter in order to eat, respect for the environment, and supporting farmer's markets), I am sure I would never want, nor wish, to forego the absolute delights offered by the world's variety of cheeses.......

Cheers

13. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

How do the Vegans do it ? It's easy, Vegan powers :

[​IMG]

Who wouldn't want to be able to punch a hole through the moon ? So what if you have to drink soy beverages that taste like crap. Personally, I'd rather eat meat. Proteins does a body good (and taste great on a grill with BBQ sauce). We're animals. Animals eat animals. End of story for me.

14. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I've been vegan for almost 10 years. The only things that are difficult to me; there a are fewer options (sometimes none) when you eat outside, people tend to add eggs and milk to everything they can. People judge you, and probably because previously they've met a vegetarian that was annoying to them or believed vegetarianism is cool and you're not.

Other than that, shopping is easy, cooking is great, food taste good, living with non vegan people is also good.

Ice cream, chocolate milk? there's soy based, rice based, and almond based chocolate milk, organic or regular. No problem, and if you live in Europe or the US is even simpler. For us, third world countries, and Japan, isn't easy to find that many products.

15. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I don't judge Vegans or vegetarians, I just laughed at those that think they are somehow superior because they refuse to eat meat. Judge not lest ye be judged, something a lot of vegans and vegetarians should keep in mind.

There's nothing wrong with eating meat. Nothing. At. All. You do whatever floats your boat, it doesn't make you superior.

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Probably missionary... I'd assume doggie is off limits. ;)

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just a you thing ;) my sister and girlfriend are big (british/danish) bacon fans.

So long as she isn't a real heifer.

18. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

You're right, for me is just something I like doing. Too sad that most vegetarians (not even real vegetarians=vegan) annoy people who enjoy meat, and viceversa.

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.
    —George W. Bush