Vegetarian Recipes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by /user/me, Apr 15, 2012.

1. /user/me macrumors 6502

Hey all!! I'm planning on cooking dinner at home tonight, and I'm looking for a recipe, so if you have a favorite, I'd love to hear it :).

Thanks in advance!!

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What is your preference - pasta dishes, or rice ones, or simply roasted vegetables?

If I want something soothing with pasta, I'll melt some Gorgonzola cheese on a low heat - in a heavy bottomed saucepan - and add some double cream and black pepper to that; serve with a green salad (or wilted spinach leaves) and pasta.

Alternatively, roast some large tomatoes in a hot oven (180-190C) for around 30-40 minutes - drizzle in olive oil and add some whole (unpeeled) cloves of garlic. While that is cooking, slowly, very slowly, saute some onions, until soft and translucent (around 25 minutes) and diced carrots in a heavy bottomed pan with a little olive oil. Mash in the tomatoes when done and toss over cooked pasta. Serve with a green salad. If you are absolutely ravenous, you could add some borlotti beans to the tomato mix (a good Italian brand in a tin will do fine, drain first and rinse in water, obviously), before adding in the pasta.

Good luck

3. And macrumors 6502

And

Red dragon pie - basically a shepherds pie with aduki beans. There are a few recipes out there, google is your friend.

4. /user/me thread starter macrumors 6502

This sounds super delicious. Tomatoes are one of my favorites! There's nothing that you can't do with them :) I haven't cooked with those beans, but they sound delicious. Thanks a bunch! I'll let you know how it tastes. :)

I'll have to try that on a rainy day. It looks too spicy for today :) :) Thanks a bunch though!! :)

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I forgot to mention that you can also squeeze the roasted garlic (having put several cloves in with the tomatoes to roast - the lot drizzled with olive oil) out of its skin and add into the tomato mix and add some black pepper to that; it is very tasty.

Cheers and the best of luck with it.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Black pepper Tofu

(a modified version of Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe).

For 2 people:

300g firm, fresh tofu
    Cornflour, to dust the tofu
    Vegetable oil, for frying
    12 small shallots (350g), peeled and thinly sliced
    butter: enough to fry the shallots.
    4 red chillies, without seeds (or a few seeds, say 20% of whatever is in the chillies)
    5 garlic cloves, crushed
    3 tbsp chopped ginger
    5 tbsp ground black pepper(corn)
    10 tablespoons of soy sauce.
    2 tbsp sugar
    6 small, thin spring onions, cut into segments 3cm long

Cut the tofu into 2x2cm blocks and toss them in cornflour, shaking off the excess.

Pour in enough oil to come 0.5cm up the sides of a large frying pan, and bring up to frying heat. Fry the tofu in batches in the oil, turning the pieces as you go. There should only be one layer of tofu. Don't stack a pile, because it won't cook properly.

Remove the tofu, and pour out the oil. Throw in some butter.

Add the shallots, chillies, garlic and ginger, and sauté for about 15 minutes on low-medium heat. While you wait, use a pepper-grinder and get yourself some ground pepper.

Next, add the soy sauce to the shallots and chilli, and addthe sugar and ground pepper. Throw in the tofu, and spring onion, and stir through. Serve hot with steamed rice.

7. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Nice with a vegan suggestion Abstract, I'll copy this and try it out in the weekend!

8. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

When cooking vegetarians, slow cooking over an open flame works best. Don't forget to slather them with lots of BBQ sauce.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

My favourite dish is stir fired tofu mince in black bean sauce with noodles. It's pretty simple and only takes about 20 minutes.

• Start frying the tofu mince and some mushrooms in a wok
    • After a few minutes add some crushed garlic, spring onions, sweetcorn and any other finely chopped veg
    • Stir in the noodles and a jar of black bean sauce

Not really about sure quantities, just use as much as you want for each ingredient I guess.

10. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

11. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Well aren't you the clever one? :)

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I tried being a veggie for a month. I barely made it. Virtually every meal was scrambled eggs, baked potato, pasta, or nachos.

If those sound great to you, OP, let me know and I'll post the recipes.

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

14. And macrumors 6502

And

I'm afraid that just demonstrates your lack of imagination as a cook!

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I actually spent a few years cooking professionally, and I'm quite good at it. I just don't have an appreciation for main courses without meat in them.

16. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

Reading this thread makes me hungry, and i just had lunch!

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

well, it is even stranger then.

i love meat, but there are tons of fantastic dishes that do not have any meat in them. and yes, a lot of them have past or rice in them, but it doesn't mean they are all the same (it would be like saying that all meat-based recipes are the same)

the only kind of vegetarian recipes i usually avoid are the 'pretend' ones, basically the ones that want to mimic meat-based ones using substitutes like tofu.

now, if we are talking vegan then is different. there are still many good dishes, but if you take also dairy and eggs out of the mix then it becomes very limiting

18. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

It's kind of like an old mac. You just have to really know what you're doing to get the most out of it. ;)

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's a bit more difficult to be creative with vegetarian food unless you have tasted good vegetarian food. ;)

Recently, I went to my favourite cafe/restaurant, and they always sell vegetarian food. They don't have a vegetarian section on their menu. The chef just happens to create dishes that taste good, and some of them happen to be vegetarian. ;)

And Don't Panic is right. Vegetarian foods that try to replace meat with a "substitute" aren't good vegetarian foods, because real vegetarians shouldn't have that type of mentality. You shouldn't need to use a "substitute" for meat. You don't eat meat, and you don't cook meat dishes. That's it.

20. And macrumors 6502

And

Frankly that probably explains things, most cooks I have known have had no imagination when it came to cooking for themselves...

21. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Wow, I would have imagined their dinners at home being fantastic and full of experiments. But yeah, it's probably like with the rest of us - very few take the job home if it isn't necessary.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Truth.

I know a guy who's wife is Cordon Bleu trained, and he does most of the cooking.

You can't honestly blame the poor woman.

23. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Spanakopita, mmmh! one of my favourite dishes.

24. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I can understand that some people don't want to be reminded of meat while they're eating something that's vegetarian, and that's completely fair, but I just can't find a reason to be up in arms about it. I wouldn't want to live off them, but some are very palatable.

Unrelated aside: lots of people getting banned lately o_O

25. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I know right! looks like some evil mod is out to get revenge:D
    by saying that I might be next O.O