Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
There is no CarPlay forum on MR, so I figured this should go here.

Can everyone post cars which come stock with CarPlay compatibility please (models, trim levels)? The information on this is really frustrating to come by.

Also, for those who have installed aftermarket systems to have CarPlay, how has it turned out for you? I hope it comes stock in my next vehicle and I don't have to go the aftermarket route.

viorelgn

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
Romania
The first vehicles to support CarPlay will debut at the Geneva Motor Show, and they'll include car models from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo. A broad range of vehicles from other automakers will soon follow. BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Land Rover, Kia, Peugeot, Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Nissan are a few of the big names expected to integrate CarPay into upcoming vehicles.

Evilgamer

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
Carplay seems to have next to no momentum, I've been watching the japanese makes (Toyota and Honda) and their luxury division (Acura and Lexus), there has been zero indication they intend to use it anytime soon.

Honda announced the next generation Pilot this week.

Entertainment system is running android, they may have given up on carplay.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
The first vehicles to support CarPlay will debut at the Geneva Motor Show, and they'll include car models from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo. A broad range of vehicles from other automakers will soon follow. BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Land Rover, Kia, Peugeot, Citroën, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and Nissan are a few of the big names expected to integrate CarPay into upcoming vehicles.

Not LEXUS? : C

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
2016 Chevrolet Volt has been confirmed to have CarPlay support. I'm hoping other GM vehicles will shortly follow suit. There is some speculation that the 2016 Stingray will support it as well, but that is strictly rumor at this point.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Car manufacturers are always slow at adopting tech.

One of reasons is reliability and continued software support. It's an added cost to manufactures if they have the highest end software that's buggy and requires constant drop in to the dealership. It doesn't make any revenue post sell. Car manufacturers would rather not deal with the hassle.

My 2014 Range Rover sport touch screen feels like 2007 tech. I touch the screen and it takes like 2 seconds for the screen to respond. And Land Rover considers thst normal. It's not like instant response that we have become used to with our iPhones. My 2014 Honda Odyessey nav system is almost as slow as the Range Rover sport. So it's not just one manufacturer.

If there isn't money to be made after point of sale. There is no incentive to rush out and have CarPlay installed.

Heck. Bluetooth has been around in most cell phones since 2004/2005 (yeah I know a few earlier 2002/2003 Sony Erricson had Bluetooth. But I am tAlking mainstream integration.

Anyways. Car manufacturers didn't integrate Bluetooth into many of their cars until like 2008 and on. Heck my 2008 hummer h3 alpha version didn't have Bluetooth. And only the 2009 version starting getting it.

And what about Bluetooth A2DP (u know for the all important audio streaming in cars). That didn't become mainstream until like 2010-2011?

Annoyed my 70k Audi Q7 4.2 didn't have that. And Audi is usually ahead of the game in technology.

So I don't anticipate CarPlay to become mainstream until closer to 2018 or later models.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
They really don't want to support it. I took a look at the Dodge Dart website to see what they charge for in car GPS. Once you get the model with the touch screen, it's another $650 I think to get GPS. It's something the phone does for free but it cuts carmaker's from a very profitable revenue stream. Basically it's one less thing they can gouge you on.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Happy to report that there has been a lot of movement in the CarPlay universe since my last post above in February. 2016 Chevrolets with a 7" or 8" touch screen will have it. Which of course pleases me greatly (see avatar and signature). Cadillac, Buick, and GMC models will as well. GM is really increasing CarPlay's momentum.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
CarPlay isn't something you should be excited for. In many ways, it's a downgrade from regular bluetooth integration mainly because in a lot of vehicles it requires a USB cable.

Read this: http://kicksology.net/blog/2015/3/3/why-carplay-is-a-dead-end-and-how-apple-can-turn-it-around

I was excited, now I'm not anymore.
This guy is just disgruntled because his car doesn't support CarPlay. :)

His main criticism is the wired connection. It doesn't detract from the experience in my vehicle. There is a motorized hidden compartment with a USB port inside it. Plug in, place phone in compartment. Done.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I forget the vehicle brand, but I saw in a commercial that they're introducing wi-fi in cars. I wonder if this will be a new type of plan apart from home wi-fi. Or if this car-play integration would include wi-fi to be paid out monthly to the car maker?

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Has anyone found another listing of vehicles which currently have or have definitively announced supporting CarPlay soon? I know there's the Apple page that basically lists all car makers, but that is not helpful.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I forget the vehicle brand, but I saw in a commercial that they're introducing wi-fi in cars. I wonder if this will be a new type of plan apart from home wi-fi. Or if this car-play integration would include wi-fi to be paid out monthly to the car maker?
Audi and GM do it right now. All running on AT&T LTE

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Has anyone found another listing of vehicles which currently have or have definitively announced supporting CarPlay soon? I know there's the Apple page that basically lists all car makers, but that is not helpful.
I think the two on the market right now are The current Hyundai Sonata and new Volvo XC90.

GM is making a major push soon.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Am I correct that you can only use Apple maps, not google maps or waze, trough CarPlay? If so, that's more or less enough to make me lose interest.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Am I correct that you can only use Apple maps, not google maps or waze, trough CarPlay? If so, that's more or less enough to make me lose interest.
That's my understanding. Here are consoles that will allow use of both CarPlay and android auto, if that helps. (Chevy Cruz 2016)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.