Velociraptor 10k hd in iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2ms, Jul 16, 2009.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I have a couple year old 20" C2D white iMac. Is there any reason I couldn't replace the standard 7200 rpm drive with a Western Digital Velociraptor. I've heard they do wonders for the kind of work I do so would really like to have one.

2. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

seems to be working, look at this thread: 24" iMac with 300gb VelociRaptor

Though, that's a 24 inch..not sure if that makes a difference. Wait for more responses.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HDs are history, get a SSD instead. I wouldn't use Raptors because they can cause overheat problems.

4. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

LMAO, says who? Still plenty of tasks out there where a good old HD will beat an SSD. Not to mention the enormous price per GB difference between the two. SSD's are for early adopters with specific types of I/O workload; they're not the answer for everyone. Not yet at least.

Agree on the heat though, a Velociraptor needs active cooling. Not sure what the airflow inside an iMac is like, but if it cools the HD using only convection, I would not put a 10k drive in it...

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Like what? It certainly isn't random read/writes because even 2nd tier SSD absolutely demolish HDD.

It isn't latency because the avg SSD is what 10x faster.

I think sequential writes is about the only thing that a fast HDD can hope to win.

I think Hellhammer's advice was good. Velociraptors are as good as finished. They suck up too much power, don't perform as well as SSD and they're limited to 300GB so they don't hold all that much more data.

6. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

SSDs are WAY out of the range of money I want to spend on a hard drive. Velociraptors are under many circumstances twice as fast as most hds. But they don't cost much more.

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What's your budget then? Cheapest SSDs are less than 200$ nowadays and they are 32 or 64Gb.

9. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

He's talking about his iMac..so I guess he needs more than 64Gb.

And there I think he's right, price/bennefit ratio might be the best with a Velociraptor.

Though I think for most tasks his stock drive should be enough anyways.

to the OP: I would stick with the current drive if it has served you well up to now. If you could to everything, why change anything?

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...still too early to adopt the SSD tech with the price per GB the way it is...

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Raptors are great in full size towers but iMacs are already running quite hot (HD is over 55c with normal cooling). Raptor would smelt iMac. Also, SSDs are not for storing data yet. I meant that OP could get a 64Gb SSD and use it as boot and app drive and then store his files to external.