VelociRaptor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Oct 10, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

2. powermi macrumors regular

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It will work.

Just be forewarned that-for me personally-10K drives are obnoxious. The "whine" they make is of a very annoying pitch.

I find 15K drive to be a lot more tolerable.

4. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Funny, I thought I was the only one who thought this. 10k drives are like the 5 cylinder engines of the HDD world. ;)

Although in an MDD, you probably wouldn't notice the noise, so I wouldn't worry about it.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The 10K drives are a large part of the reason why I never turn on my G3 beige server, although admittedly the late '90s 10K drives are especially bad since to me they sound like they're about to self destruct at any given instant(the ones I have from this era all sound like chainsaws).

My G3 minitower at work has a 15K drive, and I'd say it's quieter than the 7200 RPM Fireball in the B&W sitting next to it. I'd like to install Leopard on it, but will need to do so on another hard drive as I don't want to ditch the OS 9/Tiger install on the current drive. Unfortunately, the only 68 pin drives from this era I have are 10K Seagate Cheatahs and they fall into the obnoxious category.

I have some(some meaning 50+, some good pulls and some NOS) 80 pins that are mixed 10K and 15K. If I could ever get the 80 pin to 50/68 pin adapters I have to work reliably, I'd just use one of these rather than messing with 68 pin drives.

6. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Actually I will worry about it and probably forego the idea, seeing as how I've spent considerable time and energy getting my 1.42 MDD noise level reduced to almost nil.

7. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Yeah, a cheap SSD might be your best bet for a noise-reduced MDD, although I have no experience with the Sonnet SATA card and if it will support an SSD (can't imagine why it wouldn't?). Perhaps someone else can chime in here.

8. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Not to derail the thread too much, but what use do the G3's get at work?

9. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

The Sonnet SATA card does support SSD's but xBench test results using my original IDE/SATA bridge adapter are better then the Sonnet.

10. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Hunh, would not have expected that, but that's some good info ffr

11. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Mostly for play :) but they do get some uses.

For one thing, I run a software package called Spartan(computational chemistry/molecular modeling) which uses an ADB HASP for copyright protection. The HASP has to plug into a real ADB port-not an ADB-USB adapter. My beige G3 at work has a Sonnet 1ghz G4 which makes it tear through the program(it was designed for a 604 series processor).

I can also get a surprising amount of typing/writing done on either the beige or B&W, as there's not much to distract me and I also have the convenience of being tied into my LocalTalk network and printing to Laserwriter that sits between the two.

12. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

Ah sweet! It's nice to see a beige G3 serve some legitimate use!
    This I definitely understand. I do a lot of first drafts on my 350 MHz Sawtooth running OS 9 / Appleworks. I find that the lack of distractions is nice, and it encourages me to re-type a second draft in full on a modern computer, which usually results in a better finished product.