Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Smart energy company Velvetwire today announced Powerslayer Blu, the latest addition to its Powerslayer lineup of USB chargers. This new model offers Bluetooth low energy (BLE) connectivity and is compatible with Apple's HomeKit technology rolling out with iOS 8. Apple's vision for HomeKit is to make it easy for developers to allow users to control and interact with accessories around the home, leveraging BLE for energy-efficient communications.

powerslayer-blu.jpeg
"We are proud to be among the first group of companies to produce HomeKit-compatible devices," said Eric Bodnar, co-founder and CEO at Velvetwire. "By integrating Bluetooth technology into the Powerslayer, we're offering customers a new way to interact with their devices and be part of Apple's HomeKit. Velvetwire is committed to developing intelligent, energy-efficient devices that allow users to live more consciously without sacrificing convenience. We look forward to sharing Powerslayer Blu and future generations of our power-saving devices with the world."
The Powerslayer Blu improves upon earlier Powerslayer models with HomeKit integration and iOS app support that gathers information from the charger using Bluetooth LE. Users can receive notifications about the charging status of their devices and view energy level information via Velvetwire's iOS app. The device also includes the option to switch between a fast, high-power charging profile and an energy conservation mode that maximizes battery life.

The Powerslayer Blu will be available before the end of the year and will retail for $89. While the price tag is likely to be a hurdle for many potential customers, Powerslayer Blu serves as a good example of the potential of HomeKit to use iOS as a hub for bringing together devices from around the home.

Article Link: Velvetwire Unveils First Smart USB Charger Powered by Apple HomeKit Technology

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Call me short sighted but can't see any use for this. Seems like adding connectivity for the sake of it.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
I fail to see the point of the device.

I want home control. Meaning I want to be able to control my thermostats, lighting, etc. I don't care how much electricity my phone uses to charge.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Apparently it stops ghost drain whilst charging USB devices. Slows it to a stop as it fills, then turns off. It does, as far as I can tell, exactly what our iDevices and Apple's AA battery charger already do. Charge, trickle, then stop. I fail to see why this needs bluetooth or is a benefit for iDevices.

Zwopple

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2008
Call me short sighted but can't see any use for this. Seems like adding connectivity for the sake of it.

I can think of a couple situations where I've gone back and checked the status of the charge. Would it make me buy one of these though? That's less certain.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I fail to see the point of the device.

I want home control. Meaning I want to be able to control my thermostats, lighting, etc. I don't care how much electricity my phone uses to charge.

I wonder how much you could possible save after factoring in the price of the device.

Cyberius11

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
I wonder how much you could possible save after factoring in the price of the device.

Maybe a penny or two a year, and in a couple thousand years it will pay for itself. My phone costs what, a couple bucks a year to charge as is? This is a ridiculous device.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I can think of a couple situations where I've gone back and checked the status of the charge. Would it make me buy one of these though? That's less certain.

wouldn't you need your device to check the charge remotely with this? Or do you need two phones for this to work

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
So I can interact with the charging process from my iPhone while my iPhone is connected to the charger? I guess the % charged indicator is far too complicated.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
This looks like a solution in search of a problem.

Even at really high electric rates of .20 kWh it would take decades for this thing to pay for itself with the meager power savings. Notifications for when my devices are charged? For $89?

Next.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
So I am all for home automation...but a USB charger? There is never a case where I will plug something in and want to stop charging until it is fully charged...the switching from slow/fast charging is nice I guess, but a physical switch could work for that.

And as for checking the state...it is likely my phone that is plugged in...so I will have to physically be next to the charger in the first place because I would check the state on my phone.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Full discosure... how much did Velvetwire pay to have this advertisement as "news"?

Someone on the macrumors staff will chime in soon to remind us that they don't post ads without clearly identifing them as such.

But I've said this before and I'll say it again, you guys really need to take a look at and why some posters seem to mistake your news articles for ads.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Full discosure... how much did Velvetwire pay to have this advertisement as "news"?

This always happens when a new technology or device arrives. The first company out with anything that uses that standard gets the first coverage. Unfortunately, that also usually means they rushed it out to be first and it sucks or seems pointless as is the case with this product. But they are first to use Homekit so yay for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.