Vendor advise always shut down. Yes or no.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by novetan, Nov 12, 2015.

1. novetan macrumors 6502

For the last 4 yrs that i had my MacBookPro, I always put it to sleep after finishing. My OS is Snow Leopard. Been repeating same process everyday. I only shut it down if I go for holiday.

Yesterday i sent my com for battery change and the vendor advised me as far as possible try shutting down at the end of day after used. His reason is to preserve the moving parts as mine is a HHD.

So far its has been 4 yrs and without any problem by putting it to sleep. Is his reason valid?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

The moving parts all stop when the computer is asleep. There's no reason to change what you've been doing; sleep is fine.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Shutting down with 'reopen windows when logging back in' disabled is recommended in my experience.

You could put systems on sleep without an issue on Snow Leopard. However the recent OSs have so many problems with a large uptime. Things like Safari gestures not working, webpages slow to load, Wi-Fi issues -- these kind of niggling problems come up with an uptime of 7+ days.

There are likely to be a few people who will quote this and say "well hey, I've had no issues, therefore you're wrong". Well I'm only going on my experience -- a solid 5 Mac problems per day. A large uptime causes so, so many problems on the newer OSs, even volume corruptions with 30+ days. It's almost guaranteed. Just shut down every few days and you won't have any problems.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

I'm one of those people who has none of these problems and almost never shuts down a computer, now on 10.11.1.

5. Raavi1 macrumors newbie

HI, Have been using Macbook Air (2010) and Pro (2012) dint face any of this issue's. very rarely had shut downed my laptops. Even when i was am travelling i keep the laptop on sleep mode. You can Enable an option called " Put HARD DISK TO SLEEP WHEN POSSIBLE " in energy saver. maybe this will Help.

6. dangerfish macrumors 6502

No, that's silly. My computers stay on 24x7 (they do go to sleep though). I don't turn off or restart unless there is a software update.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I will repeat this.

8. novetan thread starter macrumors 6502

Tks guys for sharing your thoughts. Thats very informative.