Vent about MacBook Air

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
USA
I bought a MacBook Air 13'' ultimate (i7, 256GB, 4GB). At Christmas, spilt water over it. House insurance covered it and it was sent to Apple to fix. They couldn't fix it, so sent me a new one.

Have just received the new laptop, and it's an i5 rather than an i7.

How much slower is the i5? I'm not sure I want to mess around with sending the laptop back and getting a new one sent out again!

Silly Apple!

Neodym

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2002
Silly you to spill water over it in the first place!

According to Anandtech the i7 is about 8% faster in average than the i5 - nothing you would notice in everyday use unless you render / encode 24/7 while sitting with a stopwatch in front of it...

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
USA
Silly you to spill water over it in the first place!

According to Anandtech the i7 is about 8% faster in average than the i5 - nothing you would notice in everyday use unless you render / encode 24/7 while sitting with a stopwatch in front of it...
True.
Thanks for the speed stats! :)

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
I would contact apple about it. Whenever I had to have my mini replaced they sent my replacement before I had to send mine back. Maybe they'll do it for you?

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
I concur with everyone here. Even if its not a significant difference in performance, you still paid extra for the i7! Not only that, you also stand to lose more money when its time to sell it and get the 2012 one.. You know you're gonna do that :D

Hustle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2007
USA
Thanks for the replies. It's probably more to do with the insurance company and not Apple. I'd imagine the insurance company have ordered the wrong laptop.

Will ring them and ask for either the £100 difference in price, or for them to send me the correct laptop. :)

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
You paid for the i7, return it and get an i7.

If you don't exchange it, you effectively just gave Apple free money and got noting in return.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
I bought a MacBook Air 13'' ultimate (i7, 256GB, 4GB). At Christmas, spilt water over it. House insurance covered it and it was sent to Apple to fix. They couldn't fix it, so sent me a new one.

Have just received the new laptop, and it's an i5 rather than an i7.

How much slower is the i5? I'm not sure I want to mess around with sending the laptop back and getting a new one sent out again!

Silly Apple!
They sent you the wrong one.

if you send an i7 back for repair, and say warranty covers it. They SHOULD send you an i7 back to you.

I would be phoning up apple right now and saying they goofed

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm still waiting for an answer to where the term "ultimate" macbook came from!!! There is no such thing! For some reason people insist on calling a spec'd MBA ultimate, but nowhere on the Apple site do they list an ultimate edition. The only place I've seen the word is in describing it as the ultimate portable computer. Where did this name originate? It is SO annoying!

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
I'm still waiting for an answer to where the term "ultimate" macbook came from!!! There is no such thing! For some reason people insist on calling a spec'd MBA ultimate, but nowhere on the Apple site do they list an ultimate edition. The only place I've seen the word is in describing it as the ultimate portable computer. Where did this name originate? It is SO annoying!
I think people use the term 'ultimate' when they get an all maxed out machine, meaning that the spec they have is the 'ultimate' i.e best available for that model. It also reduces the necessity to keep quoting a long list of specs, for e.g I have an ultimate 2010 13" instead of I have a 2010 13" with 2.13ghz C2D, 4gb RAM and 256gb HDD. That would get tiring real soon :p

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
The 2010 models were known as "Base" and "Ultimate". Those were the actual names listed on Apple Online Store. When 2011 came out the name went away.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'd recommend contacting apple about this.

Its not whether the i5 is nearly as fast as the i7 but you should have gotten something similar to what you already had

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I would keep the i5 (as I've heard it's better for battery life/heat) and see if you can get the monetary difference.
I would do this. Call Apple and ask for monetary compensation for the upgrade fee. Consider it a second chance to save some $$ over a small spec difference. At least it's still 256GB :D

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Was your house insurance policy 'new for old'? If so, then you should have gotten a new machine to the same (or better) spec, however unless it specifically states 'new for old' then it's likely the insurer has deducted an amount from the original price to account for 'wear and tear' and thus have bought you a machine appropriate to that amount. Worth checking with your insurer before making any further enquiries to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.