Vent about MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Hustle, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I bought a MacBook Air 13'' ultimate (i7, 256GB, 4GB). At Christmas, spilt water over it. House insurance covered it and it was sent to Apple to fix. They couldn't fix it, so sent me a new one.

Have just received the new laptop, and it's an i5 rather than an i7.

How much slower is the i5? I'm not sure I want to mess around with sending the laptop back and getting a new one sent out again!

Silly Apple!

2. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Silly you to spill water over it in the first place!

According to Anandtech the i7 is about 8% faster in average than the i5 - nothing you would notice in everyday use unless you render / encode 24/7 while sitting with a stopwatch in front of it...

3. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

True.
    Thanks for the speed stats! :)

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I would contact apple about it. Whenever I had to have my mini replaced they sent my replacement before I had to send mine back. Maybe they'll do it for you?

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Still get the right one/ You paid for the better one...

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Of course, Apple is also screwing you out of a few hundred in upgrades.

7. anirudh macrumors 6502

I concur with everyone here. Even if its not a significant difference in performance, you still paid extra for the i7! Not only that, you also stand to lose more money when its time to sell it and get the 2012 one.. You know you're gonna do that :D

8. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. It's probably more to do with the insurance company and not Apple. I'd imagine the insurance company have ordered the wrong laptop.

Will ring them and ask for either the £100 difference in price, or for them to send me the correct laptop. :)

9. Xikum macrumors 6502

You paid for the i7, return it and get an i7.

If you don't exchange it, you effectively just gave Apple free money and got noting in return.

10. LordVic macrumors 601

They sent you the wrong one.

if you send an i7 back for repair, and say warranty covers it. They SHOULD send you an i7 back to you.

I would be phoning up apple right now and saying they goofed

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I'm still waiting for an answer to where the term "ultimate" macbook came from!!! There is no such thing! For some reason people insist on calling a spec'd MBA ultimate, but nowhere on the Apple site do they list an ultimate edition. The only place I've seen the word is in describing it as the ultimate portable computer. Where did this name originate? It is SO annoying!

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

I would keep the i5 (as I've heard it's better for battery life/heat) and see if you can get the monetary difference.

13. anirudh macrumors 6502

I think people use the term 'ultimate' when they get an all maxed out machine, meaning that the spec they have is the 'ultimate' i.e best available for that model. It also reduces the necessity to keep quoting a long list of specs, for e.g I have an ultimate 2010 13" instead of I have a 2010 13" with 2.13ghz C2D, 4gb RAM and 256gb HDD. That would get tiring real soon :p

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The 2010 models were known as "Base" and "Ultimate". Those were the actual names listed on Apple Online Store. When 2011 came out the name went away.

15. lolwut89 macrumors member

16. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Thanks! I've asked this several times and never got an answer.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd recommend contacting apple about this.

Its not whether the i5 is nearly as fast as the i7 but you should have gotten something similar to what you already had

18. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I would do this. Call Apple and ask for monetary compensation for the upgrade fee. Consider it a second chance to save some $$ over a small spec difference. At least it's still 256GB :D

19. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Was your house insurance policy 'new for old'? If so, then you should have gotten a new machine to the same (or better) spec, however unless it specifically states 'new for old' then it's likely the insurer has deducted an amount from the original price to account for 'wear and tear' and thus have bought you a machine appropriate to that amount. Worth checking with your insurer before making any further enquiries to Apple.

20. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I would ask how co you didn't send me what I paid for in the first place?