Vent Mount for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dlamin517, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

Anyone know if there any vent mounts for the iphone available yet? especially ones that work with the bumper case on

2. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Looking for one myself...

As far as I know, there's not one made SPECIFICALLY for the iPhone 4, but there are plenty universal mounts that work with the 3G/S models. I assume that since the physical dimensions aren't that different (only by MMs), these same universal mounts would work with the iPhone 4.

Rocketfish makes one, and then there are several other brands that also make universal vent mounts. A Universal Mount, based on my research, shouldn't run you more than $20. Plus, with the universal mount, you can probably use a case on your iPhone, something that the mounts made specifically for the iPhone 3G/S don't do [well].

3. Fisher624 macrumors regular

kensington quick release

I have the Kensington quick release ,and the iP4 fit fine in it, without a case. But with the griffin reveal case on the phone, it does not fit. I am waiting for a bumper, and I am hoping it will fit, but I am not so sure. The Kensington mount worked great for my 3G, so if the bumper doesn't fit, I will be looking to upgrade it for the iP4, but as of now they aren't released.

4. kevin86 macrumors member

Can you post a quick pic of the ip4 in the quick release? I'm thinking of buying one right now.

5. Fisher624 macrumors regular

sorry, but my car is in the shop. i tried it out last night in my wife's car, which she now has at work. my car should be done today, so as soon as i can get you a pic, i will post it.

6. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Got my mount today!

I know I posted here yesterday, but I picked up my mount when I picked up my phone.

The brand is xentris, and so far, the mount is great. It comes with a vent AND an adhesive dash arm. It hugs the iphone tightly, with foam pads on the two, large arms, the bottom feet things, and the back that the case rests on.

Can post pics later; it's almost midnight here.

EDIT: btw, the mount can definitely work with a case. I think it might even work with an otterbox defender, but don't take my word on that, since I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

7. Walter Bell macrumors regular

I use a proclip in my 2010 GTI. This is pictured with my 3GS in an otterbox, but my iPhone 4 + Bumper fits fine:

[​IMG]

8. shotts56 macrumors 6502

9. Fisher624 macrumors regular

Kensington Quick Release

Here is a naked iP4 in a Kensington Quick Release mount. It won't fit in the clip with the Griffin Reveal case on it. But it fits fine naked. Also this is usable with the included vent mount.

Attached Files:

10. kevin86 macrumors member

Hey, thanks a lot. I took your word for it and ordered via Amazon prime last night. I should have it today, looking forward to driving to the beach with it tonight.

I had the Griffin WindowSeat but it just won't hold the iPhone 4.

11. Vinny1967 macrumors member

Specifically, which ProClip mounts does the iPhone 4 fit into?
    Ant chance you could post a photo of it?

Thanks

12. Walter Bell macrumors regular

I used my the adjustable/swivel mount for my iPhone. I had it with my 3Gs and the iphone 4 fits perfectly fine in it.

No pics yet.

13. Vinny1967 macrumors member

14. j5uh macrumors member

Hey does the proclipusa stuff mess up your car at all? It looks like it would start creating gaps in the plastic pieces in your car, no?

15. bmms8 macrumors 68020

no, it is a great fit with a tight finish. i have seen no damage done and on my vehicle the mount attaches right in front of my audio screen

16. dan96max macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for posting this, I have the exact same question.

I emailed proclip this morning to ask them what mount would fit with the iphone 4 + bumper and they said they have plans to modify their adjustable ones but don't have an eta as to when that will be. Also said they've had mixed results with testing their current mounts with iphone 4 and various cases.

Just replaced my garmin with the tomtom app and need a good mount to really use it.

17. iManzana macrumors newbie

18. dan96max macrumors newbie

APSM-VSM at the bottom of the page would mount to the proclip, it's got the same screw pattern. Doesn't say anything about it being able to swivel though

*EDIT

These part numbers from Arkon would get you a swivel for a proclip or other vehicle mount with the AMPS pattern. They say it adds and additional 1" to the arkon mount

APSM-VSM
    AP2T17MM
    SP-SBH-KIT

19. Vinny1967 macrumors member

Can now confirm that the Brodit / Proclip adjustable mount (875214) DOES in fact work with the iPhone 4 with bumper fitted.

I've used this brand before and found them to be very high quality, and this item is no different.

Definitely recommend it to anyone that wants a professional quality iPhone 4 car mount.

20. dan96max macrumors newbie

Sweet, ordering now. Did you end up trying one out yesterday or some thing?

21. Vinny1967 macrumors member

Bought one and it was delivered yesterday

22. cdebnil macrumors regular

I purchased the Arkon mount above with the vent mounts from Amazon for $12 and it should be delivered today. I already have a Proclip installed in my G37 coupe for my Garmin, but after testing the new GPS chip on my Iphone4, decided its good enough to replace the Garmin.

One prob I just realized is that the Arkon mount needs horizontal air vents (which i don't have) so I'm going to probably going to just drill holes in the mount and use my existing pro-clip. If we don't get tons of rain from the hurricane, I'll try to do this today and post pics.

Also bought the component wires to hook up and watch videos from my iphone on my car's center console screen when stopping at rest stops etc. At the end of it all it should be a cleaner setup since I'll have just one wire going to my iphone instead of the 2 I have now. The wire will be supplying power to the iphone and sending video/audio from my iphone to my cars video screen. Once JB is out, I'll be able to display GPS on my cars video screen instead of having to look at the iphone. I attached pics of my current setup.

23. mrplow macrumors member

Can you elaborate on this? I have a 2008 Infiniti G35 and pushing the GPS video to the car's display sounds orgasmic.. why does this require JB? Is there some necessary hack for video out or is it because you're like me and don't want to pay 50-100$ for a GPS app?

24. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Also, the Arkon ball attachment works with Garmin's included mount clip:D.

25. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I bought the arkon slim iPhone 4 mount mentioned in this thread. Pretty solid mount for the price (bit under $20 shipped). I'm using the dashboard adhesive plate with suction cup. The clamp is basically a spring that you pull apart vertically and let retract to clamp the phone. It's very secure but the only downside is that the clamp mechanism itself is so tight that when I remove my phone it'll often pull the suction cup right off the base if I'm not careful about pulling down on the spring. Like someone mentioned before, a vent clamp for this mount would surely lead to broken vents.