Vent mounts and obvious problems w/ temp...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by skiltrip, Aug 4, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

There seems to be a lot of vent mounts for ipods/iphones out there, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what seems like an obvious inherent problem with using them.

In the winter, you could be bombarding your device with a rush of really hot air. This can't be good for the device. And less problematic, I would think is bombarding your device with A/C in the summertime.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it a non-issue, or do you need to watch out for these things?

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Been using one for years (Proclip). Vents don't emit HEAT. The heat comes from the floor unless you select "bi-level." Only A/C comes from the vents. At least that's how it's been on the dozens of cars I've owned all my (long) life. A/C has never been a problem.

I definitely would not send HEAT through the vent if you have a vent mount with any phone in it. The heat at the vent could easily exceed 100 degrees and will kill your phone.

3. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

cars that don't have automatic climate control heat comes out of whatever vents you want it to...like dash vents blowing at you...and yea, it gets mad hot!! my silver bracelt actually burns me if I have the heat blazing and blowing at me mid winter...a phone wouldnt fare well there

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

My vents can turn off individually. There's a roll type button, push to the left and that vent is off. Maybe yours has that feature.

5. james92se macrumors 6502a

Heat most certainly (can) come from the dash vents. The vast majority of cars built since the early 1980's have selectors on the climate control units in which to "choose" where to blow the heat (i.e., through the dash vents, defrost vents, floorboards, combinations, etc.)...