Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabazzaba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I sold my 3G the day before the iPhone 4s came out and waited in line for 10 hours with the hope that a white one would be available. Now I'm stuck with this phone that has a colorless screen (like the original Gameboy) and I'm still paying my iPhone bill so I don't lose my unlimited data plan. I swear SWEAR SWEAR, if the white iPhone doesn't come out by mid October, I'm switching to Metro PCS until the iPhone comes out for Verizon in January(ish). :mad: Phew, just had to get that off my chest. :eek:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
feelbetter.jpg

Now here is a great support forum that will hear your problems and sympathies with you
https://forums.macrumors.com/forums/41/

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
I sold my 3G the day before the iPhone 4s came out and waited in line for 10 hours with the hope that a white one would be available. Now I'm stuck with this phone that has a colorless screen (like the original Gameboy) and I'm still paying my iPhone bill so I don't lose my unlimited data plan. I swear SWEAR SWEAR, if the white iPhone doesn't come out by mid October, I'm switching to Metro PCS until the iPhone comes out for Verizon in January(ish). :mad: Phew, just had to get that off my chest. :eek:
\

That blows.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I swear SWEAR SWEAR, if the white iPhone doesn't come out by mid October, I'm switching to Metro PCS until the iPhone comes out for Verizon in January(ish).

You're probably gonna be waiting just as long for a Verizon iPhone as you are a white one, probably even longer. And anyway, it's a manufacturing (Apple) issue that white hasn't come out. Not an AT&T issue.

langers2010

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I sold my 3G the day before the iPhone 4s came out and waited in line for 10 hours with the hope that a white one would be available.

Well I would say that it serves you right because I am pretty certain that Apple specifically said that the white iPhone 4 would not be available at launch.

mabazzaba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Just buy a black one...

I carried around a black iPhone for 2 years. I have nothing against it, but there's something about having a black iPhone for 1/20th of my lifetime that just doesn't feel right, jk. The white one has a grasp over me that I can't break free from.

mabazzaba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
You're probably gonna be waiting just as long for a Verizon iPhone as you are a white one, probably even longer. And anyway, it's a manufacturing (Apple) issue that white hasn't come out. Not an AT&T issue.

True, but I was with Verizon before I was with AT&T and I never had dropped calls or poor service in my area. So I figure, if I'm going to be waiting this long, I might as well go back to a carrier that's been tried and true for me.

Roo Zilla

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
Why don't you just get the black one, and when the white one comes out, sell the black one and buy a new white one. Whatever loss you might take should be mitigated by the fact you get to actually use your $30 a month data plan.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
True, but I was with Verizon before I was with AT&T and I never had dropped calls or poor service in my area. So I figure, if I'm going to be waiting this long, I might as well go back to a carrier that's been tried and true for me.

If you really want to be in Verizon anyway, why is this even an issue? You've spent 1/20 of you life on a carrier that provides poor service in your area. That seems far more relevant then the color of the handset.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What is the reason you haven't bought a decent 3GS on craigslist to use while you wait? If you're savvy about buying you likely will be able to resell it for pretty close to what you paid. Even if you lose $50 in the exchange (unlikely if you're any good) that's less expensive than throwing away $30/month for an unlimited data plan you're not using.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If you really want to be in Verizon anyway, why is this even an issue? You've spent 1/20 of you life on a carrier that provides poor service in your area. That seems far more relevant then the color of the handset.
+1

I think the OP needs to realize the carrier can play a major role in the decision. People who sign 2-year contract are not only being tied to the phone, but the service.

My stepdad got the original and 3G iPhone back in 2008. First time he made the switch to AT&T after being a long time customer to Verizon. Loved iPhone, hated AT&T. While Verizon sounded like a landline, AT&T would drop his calls every single day. He lives in the hills out in Yorba Linda. AT&T is crappy in that area. He went back to Verizon after eight months with AT&T and never looked back. He is in real estate and has to deal with clients, so reception and coverage is very important to him. It's not a game and he's not buying an iPhone because it makes a great toy for downtime. He went to the badly reviewed BB Storm which still acted like a better "phone" than his iPhone. Now is on Droid X and loves it. Kept the iPhone for games, an iPod, and such. The iPhone he still uses when he travels overseas or when he "drops the children" every morning. ;D

So moral of the story to the OP is to look at it 50/50 between the actual device and carrier. It is marriage to both. You can love iPhone with all your heart, but loathe AT&T because they drop more calls or the coverage might be worse. That overall experience won't be pretty. It is like marrying a beautiful wife, but the in-laws you can't stand have to live with you to make life a living hell.

mabazzaba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Why don't you just get the black one, and when the white one comes out, sell the black one and buy a new white one. Whatever loss you might take should be mitigated by the fact you get to actually use your $30 a month data plan.

I actually thought about that, but never looked into it. After I purchase a black one for $200 or $300 with a 2 year renewal and sell it, how much would the next one cost?

I feel your pain! I'm waiting..

We are a special breed.

Are you going to be putting a case on your unicorn? If so, who cares what color it is?

I'll only be using a bumper if anything.

What is the reason you haven't bought a decent 3GS on craigslist to use while you wait? If you're savvy about buying you likely will be able to resell it for pretty close to what you paid. Even if you lose $50 in the exchange (unlikely if you're any good) that's less expensive than throwing away $30/month for an unlimited data plan you're not using.

At first, Apple said the white one would come out later that month. It wasn't until later that they told us they'd push the date back even further and by then I've been a little too busy to search craigslist for that desperate seller.

+1

I think the OP needs to realize the carrier can play a major role in the decision. People who sign 2-year contract are not only being tied to the phone, but the service.

My stepdad got the original and 3G iPhone back in 2008. First time he made the switch to AT&T after being a long time customer to Verizon. Loved iPhone, hated AT&T. While Verizon sounded like a landline, AT&T would drop his calls every single day. He lives in the hills out in Yorba Linda. AT&T is crappy in that area. He went back to Verizon after eight months with AT&T and never looked back. He is in real estate and has to deal with clients, so reception and coverage is very important to him. It's not a game and he's not buying an iPhone because it makes a great toy for downtime. He went to the badly reviewed BB Storm which still acted like a better "phone" than his iPhone. Now is on Droid X and loves it. Kept the iPhone for games, an iPod, and such. The iPhone he still uses when he travels overseas or when he "drops the children" every morning. ;D

So moral of the story to the OP is to look at it 50/50 between the actual device and carrier. It is marriage to both. You can love iPhone with all your heart, but loathe AT&T because they drop more calls or the coverage might be worse. That overall experience won't be pretty. It is like marrying a beautiful wife, but the in-laws you can't stand have to live with you to make life a living hell.

I live in Yorba Linda also! There are other factors that keep me on AT&T though, such as the fact that I get 30% off my monthly bill because a friend of mine works for the company, Verizon is pretty expensive, I like how I can just take out the SIM card and use any other AT&T phone if I have to, etc. But like I said, I just might end up switching back.

Roo Zilla

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
I actually thought about that, but never looked into it. After I purchase a black one for $200 or $300 with a 2 year renewal and sell it, how much would the next one cost?

Your next one would probably cost $600-700, you can probably sell a slightly used iPhone 4 for around the same.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I feel your pain man, I waited until this past Sunday and then I just gave in a bought a black one - while I don't regret it cause it's an incredible phone, I do still really want the white one. I'm actually having a lot of problems with my proximity sensor eventhough I'm on 4.1 so if that problem isn't solved in 25 days i'll just return this one and hope that the white one doesn't have that problem.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
You might already know this, but the white iPhone is JUST like the black one ;)
And I wouldn't count on it, I'm pretty sure that the white iPhones won't be out til his holiday season.

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Are you delusional? No one confirmed anything about a Verizon iPhone. Stop your wishful thinking.

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just buy a black one

durawraps

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
isn't whats inside that is important? if its not there are so many white replicas from china :D

isx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
There's no need to resurrect dead threads!!!!!!!

Zombie thread is back from the dead!
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

i have to agree mabazzaba :)

the white iphone looks beautiful to me. Its weird but my ocd really dislikes the fact that the iphone charger, cord, and headphones are white while apple kept coming out with a black iphone :(

what am i a zebra? Give me one uniform color dammit!

Even if apple came out with black accessories above i still would prefer white over black. It looks more clean and pure and less dirty than the black version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.