Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiffy05

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Warning, I am venting a little. I apologize in advance.

I'll come out and say that I've been an Apple guy ever since my 12" Powerbook G4 for university. That was one amazing machine. Next, I had a Macbook Core 2 Duo, along with a few iMacs of my parents/family members that I convinced them to buy (because of my great Apple experience).

I was very, VERY excited for my new iMac when I ordered it on Aug 3. With no need for the portability anymore (work provides me with a Windows laptop), I could enjoy the large screen and blazing speed of the new units.

My first arrived a few days later, but unfortunately had a case of the yellows along the bottom middle and left of the screen. It was easy enough to request a new one, but it took 2 days for me to receive the return labels, and then another WEEK before the new iMac was shipped to me (even though I was 'promised' that it would be sent out immediately).

Finally, it arrived today.

When I opened the box, I noticed a bit of a smudge on the neck of the computer. Odd, I thought, but nothing I can't clean off. Then, I unwrapped the white paper and immediately noticed a gouge in the chin of the screen. Not large, but certainly enough to make me upset with my $1500 machine. If that wasn't enough, there were finger prints all over the screen (which I could clean off), and dust underneath it! And, the keyboard doesn't even lie flat on the ground! It wobbles whenever you type (and no, it's not the desk :p).

*Sigh* - The AppleCare tech support guy was fantastic and definitely compassionate to my problems, but I am very frustrated. He got in touch with the Apple Retail store nearby and had them agree to do an exchange for me. I'm heading in there tomorrow night and will be opening the box in front of the manager.

My fingers are crossed on this one...

Sorry for the rant, I know some people don't enjoy it in the forum. Besides all of the 'cosmetic' issues, it's a helluva machine!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Venting is good for you. You purchased an expensive machine and it was not up to par so you have a right to be a little PO'd. I have had my ups and downs with Apple over the years but I'm still here so they must have done something right. I hope you have many trouble free years with your new iMac.

Btom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2009
When I opened the box, I noticed a bit of a smudge on the neck of the computer. Odd, I thought, but nothing I can't clean off. Then, I unwrapped the white paper and immediately noticed a gouge in the chin of the screen. Not large, but certainly enough to make me upset with my $1500 machine. If that wasn't enough, there were finger prints all over the screen (which I could clean off), and dust underneath it! And, the keyboard doesn't even lie flat on the ground! It wobbles whenever you type (and no, it's not the desk :p).

It looks like you got a "recycled" machine (remember, Apple is proud of their recycling programs!), something returned to Apple and simply passed on to the next buyer (many reports suggests this practice is widespread).
Makes business sense? It seems so.
Ethical? I think not.

Tom B.

spiffy05

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Got a new computer from the Apple store today. I opened it up there, and as far as I could tell (99.9999% confidence) this is a brand new machine. Again, I'd hope so given that I bought it new :)

I also opened it in store to check for the yellowing, and really couldn't spot anything, so I agreed to take it home.

My problem now is that I see it pretty clearly :( I really, really wanted this to be perfect, but now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Try to return it for a full refund? Try to exchange it AGAIN? sigh...

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Don't bother exchanging it. Just return it for a refund and move onto something else.

You are one of those people that will just never be satisfied with their iMac and will always find something wrong with it no matter what.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
Don't bother exchanging it. Just return it for a refund and move onto something else.

You are one of those people that will just never be satisfied with their iMac and will always find something wrong with it no matter what.
It sounds a bit harsh, but I agree. Demanding an exchange for trivial or purely imagined shortcomings merely raises the prices for the rest of us. And quite honestly, if it passed your inspection in the store then they really shouldn't take it back for an exchange.

What you should do is buy an all-in-one Windows PC. They're usually cheaper and there are plenty of models from which to choose. Spend a few years with it and then you'll begin to better appreciate Macs and particularly Mac OS/X.

spiffy05

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
It sounds a bit harsh, but I agree. Demanding an exchange for trivial or purely imagined shortcomings merely raises the prices for the rest of us. And quite honestly, if it passed your inspection in the store then they really shouldn't take it back for an exchange.

What you should do is buy an all-in-one Windows PC. They're usually cheaper and there are plenty of models from which to choose. Spend a few years with it and then you'll begin to better appreciate Macs and particularly Mac OS/X.

I suppose it's fair that you guys came in to criticize a thread when I labeled it venting, but thanks for nothing. If you have one of the machines with yellow on the bottom of the screen, it really is like a punch in the gut every time you have a white browser window opened. "Besides" that, it's great. I hope you guys don't have this happen to you so you're not stuck between returning a fast/cool machine, or "settling" for a $1500 screw up.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I suppose it's fair that you guys came in to criticize a thread when I labeled it venting, but thanks for nothing. If you have one of the machines with yellow on the bottom of the screen, it really is like a punch in the gut every time you have a white browser window opened. "Besides" that, it's great. I hope you guys don't have this happen to you so you're not stuck between returning a fast/cool machine, or "settling" for a $1500 screw up.

The problem isn't with the person returning it but with apple. For 500 I am sure people would live with it but for 1500 it better be perfect and with apples margins they could have afforded to get it right this time around

cnolan011

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Got a new computer from the Apple store today. I opened it up there, and as far as I could tell (99.9999% confidence) this is a brand new machine. Again, I'd hope so given that I bought it new :)

I also opened it in store to check for the yellowing, and really couldn't spot anything, so I agreed to take it home.

My problem now is that I see it pretty clearly :( I really, really wanted this to be perfect, but now I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Try to return it for a full refund? Try to exchange it AGAIN? sigh...

i confused, what was the problem when you got it home? if it defective, take it back, thats what i would do. i just spent $3000 on a new iMac i7 with 8GB/1TB -- the machine is perfect, no yellow tinting, no HD noise, no dead pixels, and no scratches, if it had any of that I would return it. i am sure they will swap it out for you if it isnt perfect, cause it should be.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
The problem aren't the people that are looking for faults, the problem is the quality control, which Apple doesn't seem to have any more.

If you buy a Porsche the seller can be damn sure that I'll complain about EVERY little mark that doesn't belong there.
When you pay a premium price you can expect to receive premium product without any faults, that's for sure.

People accepting new products with shortcomings only encourage the company to care less and less for quality control!
So keep returning the iMac as long as you receive a perfect unit!

There are iMacs out there that don't have the yellow tinge, I've seem them myself, so keep pushing.

Btom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2009

Some of the problems show up after unit warms up. Store lighting also has some masking influence. Don't be put down by some opinionated guys, have somebody else have a look at your machine and then decide. Yes, it is a lot of work Apple don't want to do, but some people replaced their units 6 times, before getting it right.

Tom B.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.