Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
good day, Question, I read in a forum last night that Ventura runs a lot of threads simultaneously, and today I started looking into it. I am running a mid 2012 MBP OS Ventura 13.2.1 via OCLP and it runs great, I am posting pick from my Activity Monitor and it shows 1500 +/_ threads with nothing running or open. Is this Normal?
Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 5.01.48 PM.png

Last edited:

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
My 2021 16" MBP is running 2600 threads with 14 apps running.
Just for fun, I quit everything, except Safari and Activity Monitor, and it's showing 2180 threads.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
My 2021 16" MBP is running 2600 threads with 14 apps running.
Just for fun, I quit everything, except Safari and Activity Monitor, and it's showing 2180 threads.
Yea, but you are running a silicone MBP, it’s no problem, I run an I7 2.9ghz and for what I do it runs great. But I help a lot of people upgrade unsupported mac’s through oclp and refurbish MBPs to sell. Am not comfortable recommending Ventura for those running heavy programs/workload.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yea, but you are running a silicone MBP, it’s no problem, I run an I7 2.9ghz and for what I do it runs great. But I help a lot of people upgrade unsupported mac’s through oclp and refurbish MBPs to sell. Am not comfortable recommending Ventura for those running heavy programs/workload.
you've said your mac is running 'great'. and all those apps in your screenshot are using zero percent of the cpu. seems a non-issue...

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
My 2019 iMac (intel) has 4100 threads and 904 processes. Do you actually have a problem with number of threads?
Am not comfortable recommending Ventura for those running heavy programs/workload.
That is a different question - like "How will Ventura (with OCLP) run with xxx Mac (with CPU, GPU, disk and RAM spec) running yyy workload".

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
you've said your mac is running 'great'. and all those apps in your screenshot are using zero percent of the cpu. seems a non-issue
Mine is running great, but like I said, when I took that screenshot I had nothing open or running, maybe a background app I missed. And mine is not a stock MacBook Pro so I am not as worried about mine. But I try and help out people when I can, I love helping people upgrade there OS on unsupported MacBooks, and just saw someone talking about the amount of threads causing CPUs to run hot on older macs. Never herd that and don’t consider myself an expert on anything, and I believe that through asking questions is how we as a race, and an individual, learn and advance.

Reactions: fisherking
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.