Ver 2: titanium and platinum editions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dypeterc, May 4, 2015.

1. dypeterc macrumors member

We've got alu, steel, and gold versions of the apple watch currently. I'd like to see a titanium (higher strength:weight ratio than alu and steel) and platinum. Thoughts?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Options are always good, though given how much such materials cost, pricing them even higher than the Edition models may not generate much movement.

3. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

The thing is platinum & titanium will look very similar to stainless steel. How about we go lower in the spectrum: plastic?:eek:

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm guessing that ver 2 will see "yellow gold" and "rose gold" colored aluminum sport watches.

At some point, we will also see "yellow gold" and "rose gold" colored SS watches. Plated, most likely. Or some sort of alternative metal, the way that Tiffany does with the Rubedo metal to simulate rose gold in less expensive pieces.

I think the Edition was just an experiment, truly.

I also think that they'll keep on making it and offering it with special band combos that you can only get when you order the Edition, to keep it looking unique when they come out with plated/simulated metals to mimic the look of yellow and rose golds.

5. Hankkk macrumors regular

What about sterling silver? This would be an option, wouldn't it? Could close the gap between stainless steel Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition.

6. tethead macrumors 6502

tethead

I would personally have loved a Titanium option - that's what my current watch is made out of, and despite being a big hunk of metal, it's very very lightweight and comfortable. I'm sure I'll get used to the heft of the SS w/ Link Bracelet, whenever we have been deemed worthy enough to receive them, but I'd have jumped on a Ti model if they were available...

7. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Version 2 better include the black material with the shiny spots they use on the inside of an oven. I use a metal brillo to clean it, scrub the crap out of that thing, and it never scratches.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Platinum makes no sense as it looks the same as SS. Wouldn't you want it to be way more obvious if you're going to drop over $10,000-17,000 for it, and platinum is even more expensive than gold?

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Knowing Apple a plastic Apple watch would be priced at $249 $299.

10. Sphyrna macrumors regular

Version 2 will be the :apple: Watch C!! Why settle for just colored bands? Why not have a colored case! Blue, white, green, pink, yellow!! If they had an iPhone 5c why not :apple: Watch c?!?!

I had read a while ago that titanium and platinum are suspected to be released in October. I don't see that happening. But possibly for Version 2 next year.

11. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Well said. There will definitely be a Platinum Edition to cater to those elite who prefer silver. I think they'd go Platinum over white gold, just because Jony Ive would prefer to say the word Platinum.

There will be anodized gold Sport to match the iPhone. And there will absolutely be a $1k-2k gold clad option. Perhaps Vermeil, perhaps. Since Rubedo is Patented and Trademarked, I can see Apple coming up with their own solution. They could easily do $14k gold, but I see them creating a new alloy, or "plating" process that is superior to anything that exists today.

The Edition will be distinguished by its custom bands, and accents like the red and white digital crown dots. The Edition will only be offered in the current body style, whereas the sport and stainless may be offered in last years design at a price.

I'm expecting the new gold Sport & Stainless, and Platinum Edition to be offered by Christmas, along with a host of new bands for holiday gift giving. New gen 2 designs by Spring -- maybe even round.

12. JulesK macrumors 6502

They need a "G-Shock" Edition....

I have the SS Watch, and really enjoy it so far (4 days), but I would much prefer a "tough" version of the Watch, similar to a G-Shock. It wouldn't have to look like G-Shock, but it could be made with a tough, non-metal shell, heavy duty buttons, a real/protective bezel (current design looks great, but is hell on the crystal), etc. I know it's not the Apple Way, 5c notwithstanding, but although my watch is an activity tracker, it's in no way a sports watch (even with one of the rubber bands). Just not designed to take abuse and still look good.

I have G-Shocks with mineral glass crystals (no ion-glass or whatever you call it) that have been through a lot, and still are pristine because of how the watches are designed. Again, you could get similar protection without the G-Shock look (which is quite polarizing, admittedly), and for a device that is destined to take abuse, Apple ought to explore that.

13. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If they can pull together their supply chain, I absolutely see this happening. I definitely can see new bands for the holidays and the new aluminum sport colors to coordinate with the new iPhones that launch in September.

If not, they'll push to have these new designs by Spring, with supply chain ironed out for next holiday season.

I'm not sure how much the watch will change by gen 2. I'm suspecting it won't be dramatic. I think we'll see a good change in OS by then, though.