Verdict? 27" iMac - Replacing HDD with SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rslifka, Jul 5, 2011.

1. rslifka, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

rslifka macrumors newbie

Getting a bit lost in the conversation between the 21" and 27" and whether or not you're adding an SSD versus replacing the HDD, what cables are needed to avoid the AHT/monitoring fan speed issue, do you need a custom mount, etc.

Could definitely use some help in understanding what's needed for a 'simple' :) replacing of the primary HDD with an SSD.

Resources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuEmPbixZTY&feature=related - video walkthrough, left with fan issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuEmPbixZTY&feature=related - video walkthrough for replacing the SSD with an HDD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtc0b0wGK4U&feature=related - video walkthrough in reverse, taking OUT the SSD; crazy man.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/06/03/good-news-about-the-2011-imac - "Gravis solution" to fan speed, though it's all in German and doesn't seem to be available yet.

It looks like the applecomponents site was the place everyone gets the HDD temp sensor jumper from, although they're down at the moment (and have been for what looks like a month). If anyone knows of a place to get the sensor jumper from, please let us know in this thread.

Thanks!

Rob

2. rslifka, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

rslifka thread starter macrumors newbie

According to this guy, all you have to do is jumper the sensor pins and you're all set.

EDIT:

In a previous video he commented that he used the actual Apple jumper sold by AppleComponent which (if I understand correctly) shorts it. Still digging around trying to find a way to get that jumper as the word "solder" is very foreign to me :)

Rob

3. 88 King, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I've just finished swap out the 1TB hard drive with a ssd on a 2011 27" imac. The whole process took 20 mins with another pair of hands to help with the screen. It was very straight forward following first few steps in this guide:

http://blog.chargedpc.com/2011/05/2011-imac-ssd-install-guide.html

There are two metallic sliver stickers on either side of the camera you need to peel half way off before remove the screen. The guide did not mention this, and I think if you tear it, there might be issues if you bring the machine to Apple repair.

I didn't notice any extra temperature pins, and the hard drive fan is working as normal according to istat menu and fan control.

The fan speed is around 1500 rpm, I'm unable to change the speed after the swap. Also istat is reporting the temperature of the had is 3 degrees celsius, fan control seems to reporting the hd temp as before.

There was an error with Apple Hardware Test I did afterword 4SNS/1/40000000:TH00-9.592. But since everything is working as normal, I'm not going to worry about it.

I'm currently using the stock 1TB HD with Firewire adapter next the the imac, that thing make more noise than all the imac fans.

EDIT:
    Parts used:

1 X suction Cup (the same as in the guide)
    1 X 3.5" to 2.5" hard drive mount bracket (very cheap, you can get in any computer online supply shop)
    1 X can of compassed air and large microfiber cloth (used to clear any dusts between glass and screen)
    1 X 256Gb Crucial c300 ssd (one of last year's top dog, still faster than ssd in Apple BTO)
    Some latex gloves

Total cost of £270 plus 20 mins of my time and a beer for the extra pair of hands. This compared to £480 Apple BTO price for a slower SSD + 1TB HD.

I think this is the best solution if you don't want to pay through the nose for Apple BTO and not confident to take the imac's guts apart to add an extra hard drive.

Hard drive fan works fine in Bootcamp as well after install drivers and restart.

4. rslifka thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice! Good tip.

I came across the charged PC guide before but since I wasn't adding an additional drive, I didn't pay much attention to it.

Was that a one-time failure? Or is AHT permanently failing?

:)

Terrific man, great info. I ordered two suction cups because I couldn't get a feel for how large they'd be. Turns out I could scale a building with these monsters.

HUGE thanks!

Rob

5. portishead macrumors 65816

I just did my SSD upgrade with OWC Electra 120GB & replaced the 1GB Seagate with a 2TB WD Green drive and I get the same error.

Everything is running fine though and I have smcfancontrol taking care of the fan speed for now.

6. appleboy68, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

appleboy68 macrumors newbie

This is my configuration:
    Port HDD: 240GB Vertex 3
    Port SSD: Intel 510 120GB
    Port ODD: CD / DVD drive

And NO fan problems.

Attached Files:

7. dgr macrumors member

I just ordered a Crucial M4 and was considering doing this. No extra cables/adapters/brackets needed? My system is a BTO with 1 SSD and the optical drive.

8. premneo macrumors newbie

I called an apple authorised service center and they will install my vertex 3 for 105 + tax. I will let you guys know if I get the fan problems.

9. premneo macrumors newbie

I got my vertex 3 120 gb SSD installed by an apple authorized service center and it cost 110 USD. No problems with fan for me. BTW my SSD firmware is 2.08. How can I upgrade it to 2.09?

10. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

There is really no easy way, you will need to remove the ssd and connect it to a Windows or Linux machine to flash the latest firmware.

In hindsight, it always good idea to update the firmware of hard drive before install into Apple machine as there are no way to flash firmware under OSX or bootcamp as far as I’m aware.