Verdict on Aperture 3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by maflynn, Oct 10, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm curious, all aperture users, are you happy with AP3. Also is apple updating the application in a more timely manner. One of the knocks on Aperture/Apple was the slow place of updates.

I've been using Lightroom, but I do own an aperture license and there are certainly some things I like in AP, but given apple's prior history of updates, I'm a little apprehensive

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The general knock on A3 is that it is a resource hog. I agree with this, but it still meets all my needs for organization and editing. I'm not in a great hurry with my work so it is not all that much of a pain two wait for photos to load and such. I still use PhotoShop CS3 for some of my more intricate tasks like skewing an image to align the verticals and such.

My 2K worth...

Dale

3. mlblacy macrumors 6502

Worth the wait...

Yeah... It was a long wait... But I used A2 with no problem until A3 came out.
    Upgraded to a new i7 with 16gb of ram. is it perfect? No... But the upgrade was worth the wait, and a big jump over A2. Presets are great too. Never was tempted to jump to LR, didn't like the interface, and am a bit over the whole Adobe thing. I mean complain about the pace of Aperture if you want, but Adobe doesn't exactly set the world on fire meeting Mac users needs. Expect that to get worse too.

95% of my imaging is within Aperture and NIK these days, and my workflow is hugely improved over my old shop days. I work faster, work largely resolution independent, and my imaging looks way better too...
    No regrets here...

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Resolution independent?? Huh? That would mean vector drawings, basically. All photos have a resolution. Perhaps you meant to say that you do only "non-destructive" editing?

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I am a total novice when it comes to LR, PS, and A3. I made the decision to go with A3 and so far I have no regrets. My biggest thing was organizing all of my photos and after doing a lot of reading and internet searches came up with a system that works for me. I downloaded a bunch of presets and they work for now. I plan on playing with the system more as well as experiment more with my photography and eventually I may need something more powerful. Either that of Apple will come out with A4. I am not holding my breath, but A3 works for me for the time being.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

LR doesn't have releases that are any faster. Ap3 is an amazing cataloging and editing tool. No regrets on purchasing v.1 through v.3.

7. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

same here... using Aperture since 1.5. Installed and tried for 3 months Lightroom and just could not wrap my head around it. A3 is a leap forward but still has some open issues and missing features (Lens correction and better noise reduction comes to mind). If they address those issues in the upcoming release there is no reason to use anything else. Painting adjustments over and over and over onto photos is just awesome...
    //F

8. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

It works well for me on a top end 17" MBP, latest model, sometimes hooked to a 30" CD. The multiple libraries feature fixes all problems I had with previous versions. I limit libraries to 8K to 10K images. Love it.

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Interesting comments, thanks for the input. So while apple does still seem a little slow with updates/upgrades by in large you all are happy with Aperture.

I just finished a camping trip in NH this weekend, I'll load those images into AP3 and compare the workflow.

10. mlblacy macrumors 6502

nah... I meant what I said...

It has nothing to do with vector vs raster imagery... it just means that in my workflow I work largely independent of size/resolution. This is a HUGE improvement over my previous pshop based workflow where almost everything started with sizing for intended use. Now I correct and tweak an image until it is "done", not worrying about whether the image is for a web graphic or a billboard. I often use the same images in many different sizes, so this is a big deal for me.

Once I need an image for a particular use I just export it, size it for use, convert it to CMYK, etc.

Non destructive editing is a whole other thing altogether, and that also is killer...

95% imaging is done within A3/NIK. Presets are worth the upgrade alone, but there are a ton more improvements that make me a happy boy. Like I said, it isn't perfect... I have had a few minor hangs, usually when jumping back and forth between NIK/pshop & Aperture, but that is an minor & rare annoyance. Favorite new feature? How it opens exactly where you left off instead of defaulting back to the "top" of your archive. Priceless.
    cheers,
    michael

PS: multiple libraries are very easy to work with... I do wish you could export pics easily between then though (someone please tell me you can easily do that, lol)

11. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I've been using v2 and v3. Now on a new MBP 17" i7 8G RAM. Thoroughly happy with it. Still learning how to use the various tools.

12. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

What you describe is not "resolution independent." You are editing the full-resolution image and can save it out at a reduced resolution afterwards.

13. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I'll muddle this a bit further. Resolution independence is a user interface thing in the Mac OSX. It keeps the menu bars and other parts of a UI looking the same regardless of the dpi of the computer screen. Not all screens are 72 dpi. Mine's around 105.

Look Here

So lets now return to the original topic of Verdict on Aperture 3...

Dale

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What would y'all say about migrating from Lightroom 3 to Aperture 3? I'm not having issues with LR3, but if Aperture it better, I'd be happy to switch.

15. autacraft Guest

Using A3 on a MBP i7 through a 30" display, its fantastic!

If you dont really need the gamut of editing photoshop can supply - i.e your work doesnt require heavy retouch/manipulation, A3 makes way more sense for the money.

The function of been able to simply 'copy/paste' an overall set of edits is brilliant alone, and the amount of plug in 'film styles' out there is really great.
    I've got a whole batch of black and white film filters (old Kodak, Fuji etc) and they really are impressive in reproduction!

For beginners in photo editing, the UI is also really great. The tools all all laid out in hierarchical fashion so you can methodically work through an image correctly in a stage by stage fashion, with 'undo's' been un-limited should you wish to correct anything.

Photoshop CS5 is outstanding and I use it daily, but for straightforward fast and accurate edits and speedy batching, A3 is superb!

go for it

16. mlblacy macrumors 6502

I understand the difference... And know exactly what I am doing. However, the point is that pics are cleaned first, and sizing is done LAST... Which is inverted to my previous workflow based only in pshop. Size & resolution is just about irrelevant to the process... So if you want to split semantical hairs, I work "independent of resolution".

For anyone who uses the same image in different sizes this is a big deal. I love A3, it was worth the wait...

Cheers,
    Michael

17. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

OK, I just wouldn't want anyone considering Aperture 3 to be misled into thinking there is some functionality regarding resolution that doesn't actually exist, hence my correction of the terminology.

18. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Switched from iPhoto + PSE8 to Aperture 3 4+ months ago.

I could never go back to iPhoto, Aperture has helped in so many ways:
    -file management/organization
    -non destructive PP
    -easy/intuitive PP (I love brush on/brush off PP, youc an really dial in specific portions so easily)

I've "sold" 2 people to upgrade from iPhoto to Aperture in past month.
    btw, I also have CS5 and barely use it.

19. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I really like the ability to Export a photo in 17 different size variations of four different file formats without changing the RAW file in A3. I can work on a photo and send copies to my TIFF folder for printing and my Flickr (jpeg) folder for upload. When I did all my editing in CS3 I saved the TIFF first and lost the RAW, then saved that as JPEG and lost the TIFF.

I looked at LR, but the interface was easier to use on A3.

Dale

20. mlblacy macrumors 6502

Check out NIK

Download a demo of the NIK suite, and you will really not use Pshop anymore. Add in some of the free or inexpensive presets, and you have another nail in the Adobe coffin. Pshop is now only for: anything with layers, type, extensive retouching or compositing, final sizing and CMYK conversion for print (which amounts to about 5% of my workflow. If those things come in A4, It would be interesting. Especially considering the recent Adobe/Microsoft alliance.

Plus, Aperture is SO much easier to pick up and hit the ground running....

21. aaaaaaron macrumors regular

I didn't like A3 :)

Seems like most people here are getting all steve jobs on adobe, but I found that L3 better met my needs. I think people are also mistaken when they say A3 (or L3 for that matter) are PS killers, though A3/L3 can do most everything for general users, PS is a great tool when you know how to use it. With that said, I try to spend as little time on the computer by getting it right in camera.

Anyway, A3 is all right, very similar to L3, it really just depends on preference.

22. mlblacy macrumors 6502

A3 vs L3 is probably a matter of preference. Although L3 probably has a larger market share, and a wider array of extensions as well.

No mistake though that Aperture is mostly a Pshop killer. I do an awful lot of imaging, and have not only worked with photoshop since version 1.0, I have taught it on a professional level to both designers and professional photographers. It is/was a great tool, and I have a pretty good grasp on how to use it.

If I was teaching a professional the rudimentary basics, I would probably need 3-5 days to get a professional "functional" with Pshop... I could cut that down to 3-5 hours for Aperture. The latest interation is very windows like IMO, and other than content aware scaling (which I don't think was actually developed by Adobe), there were not great leaps of improved workflow functionality. I am not going all Jobsian on Adobe, but the app is bloatware loaded with feature creep with very little huge advances despite the huge annual upgrade costs. I could name each substantial advancement if I wanted to, but trust me they are mostly incremental improvements. Despite the fact that Adobe built itself up on the backs of the Mac professional community, they have moved away to chase the larger market at large, and left us Mac folks as an afterthought. Updates are usually last for the Mac folks, and I don't feel the same degree of love that I used to have. Quark, which used to be the most hated company has turned itself around to be more warm and fuzzy company, and Adobe has kind of moved to where Quark used to be (for a lot of us at least). LOTS to quibble about there, and I don't really want to derail the discussion too far...

My point is that for many folks either A3 or LR is indeed a pshop killer, and you may be just fine with an older version like CS3 to supplement.

Case in point, a friend of mine is a professional shooter... He had a recent job that involved cleaning up around 200 images for printing for a corporate client. Previously the job took him 3-4 hours to process and correct. Using presets and the stamp settings tool, he could rip through those images in about 15 minutes. Essentially all he had to do was correct one image, and then apply the settings to the batch, and then go back and fine tune. All with just a few clicks. Way, way easier than batch actions in pshop.

I have been working in imaging for many years, and Aperture brought about pretty radical changes to my workflow. While I am proficient in pshop, I can simply accomplish things in Aperture and NIK that I could never do in pshop (at least as quickly or as easily). Yes, Apple is a bit slow with the version updates... But they are cheap, and they are substantive.
    Cheers,
    Michael

23. apple-ette macrumors member

24. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

I'm still using iPhoto for my pics, but since I got a new DSLR camera, I plan on having a lot of pics and was thinking about trying Aperture.

Since I don't do a lot of image editing, will it really help me ? It looks like it will be easiers to organize pics or something like that ?

I don't know whether I have a true need for it.

25. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I just started using A3 within the last few months and was an iPhoto user before that. It is a quantum leap with A3. I did some online research first and learned about importing and organizing my photos first. I changed all of the names of my iPhoto events to confirm with my organizing system (I use a date-event title system, eg. 2010-10-13| School Picnic) before uploading them when I first opened up A3. I am now getting to learn using presets and eventually will do more and more adjustments as I use it more and advance in my photo taking. You can down load a trial and start using it and playing with it w/o cost. I bit the bullet and just dove in and bought it to force me to start using it in earnest and I've not regretted it one bit. Go for it, what have you got to lose. Download the free trial and give it a go. I don't think you'll be sorry.