Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
So I have the high end stock trim 2018 MacBook Pro 15" I bought for $2399. I really enjoy it a lot other than the cost but, I don't make the best use of the machine. Or at least I don't use it for what it's made for. The only reasons I stick with it are screen size and the dedicated GPU for some light gaming here and there. For reference I only play these games on PC: CSGO, TF2, Civilization VI

The Microcenter by me has the 2018 base stock trim 15" for $1850 which is a killer deal. I don't really need the extra storage and certainly don't need the better CPU in the model I have but I am concerned about GPU performance since it seems for last years models there was a pretty sizable jump in performance between the two.

So I guess my question really is, is the Radeon Pro 560x worth $480 more (the amount I'd save after sales tax) than the 555x?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The difference is there, but you probably won't notice much if you only play old source games and Civ6...

Eerriikkoo

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2017
It can amount to the little difference between being just playable or not at all. Maybe you should consider doing the trade but using the money you save for an external gpu. Those can be at the 450-500 dollar mark

MimicBunion972

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
560X is only marginally better than 555X. Neither is good for gaming, probably will be OK with the titles you listed. If you don't need 512GB SSD, it is not worth it to get 560X. Spend that $$ on much more powerful eGPU

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.