Verification failed? Disk can't be partitioned

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zlswoosh, Apr 21, 2010.

1. zlswoosh macrumors newbie

I am trying to install boot camp on my mac, but when i attempt to partition it, it says "Verification failed. This disk could not be partitioned. Use disk utility to repair this disk." So i go to disk utility, but it won't let me hit the repair disk button. I can only hit the verify disk permissions and repair disk permissions for the Macintosh HD. Help please?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm sounds troubling.

use your Mac OSX install disk to attempt to repair the disk.

3. zlswoosh thread starter macrumors newbie

How do i do that?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

grab your OSX disc that came with your computer - boot from it (hold down option when you reboot the computer) and then you can open up "disk utility" from the disc thru the menubar..

5. jdmccay macrumors newbie

When you open up Disk Utility, Make sure you have the right harddrive selected. over on the left hand side, you should see something like "500 GB Hitatchi-something-or-other" and below that will probably be "Macintosh HD" you want to have Hitatchi selected. then try. if you still can't select repair disk, click verify disk, and then click repair disk. If all else fails, then do as the previous poster said and boot from your install disk

6. msevild macrumors regular

You can't repair a disk if you are booting from it since Disk Utility wants to unmount the drive for that to work. You must start from a installation disc(which came with the computer or you bought from a retail store) or a bootable operating system(which you probably don't have) and repair the disk from there.