Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Creativedot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hello... i have en external drive which is 1 TB and it was working fine until i noticed that one day the verify and Repair disk permissions were not available any more. (Grayed out)

I reformatted it with no luck... how can i fix this issue.? Please note that the above permissions are ok in my iMACs internal drive.

i am using MAC OS X 10.6.8 if i update to Lion you think this would fix the problem?

Many Thanks

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I'm assuming you can't access the disc??

The operating system is not related to your problem.

Creativedot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hi thanks for your answer... no i can access it ,... i am actually now using it.
Before i format it i couldnt even see it on the desktop.

You think there is a another way to Repair disk permissions?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hello... i have en external drive which is 1 TB and it was working fine until i noticed that one day the verify and Repair disk permissions were not available any more. (Grayed out)

I reformatted it with no luck... how can i fix this issue.? Please note that the above permissions are ok in my iMACs internal drive.

i am using MAC OS X 10.6.8 if i update to Lion you think this would fix the problem?

Many Thanks
Repair Disk Permissions only works for an OS X system disk. It's normally greyed out for drives with no OS on them.

In other words, it was and is working fine.

Creativedot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hey Bear thanks for your answer..

so there is no way to verify and repair an external disk without OS in them? Or its not needed?

Thanks again!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra

so there is no way to verify and repair an external disk without OS in them? Or its not needed?

Thanks again!
Not needed. TYhe repair permissions goes against the manifest for installed apps and corrects permissions on system files and apps. You're responsible for taking care of user file permissions.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thanks again!

You are confusing two, different things.

Repair/Verify Permissions is only for the OS drive as Bear said. Verify/Repair Disk is different and can be used on any drive internal or external. Verify/Repair disk is used to fix errors on the drive and is not the same as repairing permissions.

J1zdRry.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.