Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Dear Apple users,

As many of you know, Google has a special address alias feature where the user can add a "+" followed by anything after the username part of the address (e.g. myaddress+macrumors@gmail.com). This allows setting up filters and other rules to deal with emails. I love this feature, but apparently Apple doesn't.

My email address used to be "myaddress+accounts@gmail.com", which I use to deal with various accounts info from various companies. Apple accepted this email format (some websites still do not) and everything looked good. I even get emails from Apple - except the verification email. No matter how many times I ask to resend the verification email, I never received it. Needless to say I did check the Trash folder.

Then it occurred to me to change the address and remove the +accounts part. Verification received. Sigh... Problem now is I have to make a custom rule to deal with Apple account emails.

Anyway, writing to let others know, in case they run into a similar problem.

- - -

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
Dear Apple users,

As many of you know, Google has a special address alias feature where the user can add a "+" followed by anything after the username part of the address (e.g. myaddress+macrumors@gmail.com). This allows setting up filters and other rules to deal with emails. I love this feature, but apparently Apple doesn't.

My email address used to be "myaddress+accounts@gmail.com", which I use to deal with various accounts info from various companies. Apple accepted this email format (some websites still do not) and everything looked good. I even get emails from Apple - except the verification email. No matter how many times I ask to resend the verification email, I never received it. Needless to say I did check the Trash folder.

Then it occurred to me to change the address and remove the +accounts part. Verification received. Sigh... Problem now is I have to make a custom rule to deal with Apple account emails.

Anyway, writing to let others know, in case they run into a similar problem.

- - -

Also, iCloud email address work with the "+" designator. I've used that to slightly increase security on my iCloud mail. I use the + and the name of the site I'm logging into. The other benefit is, if I start getting spam sent to that one address, I know where it came from and can make a decision whether to close the account...especially if I told them I didn't want my email address shared.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks Impaler for your reply. I concur and I do exactly the same thing. It's an excellent way to find out who was the one who leaked/sold your email.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The problem is that the spammers are also aware of the "+" syntax, and many simply remove the appendix. It's better to use real aliases for things that have a spam risk. The ability to set up 10 aliases without having to create lots of different accounts is one of the main reasons why I prefer Outlook.com over Gmail these days. Also, for temporary things I like to use throw-away addresses from services like "10 Minute Mail".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.