Verify Disc fail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Saiakhasieth, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Saiakhasieth macrumors newbie

I want to repartition my drive as I have 100gb in empty space and i really need it. WhenI try it says that i need to verify the disc or something... problem is I cant do this... I used disc repair using terminal (fsck or something) but still doesnt work. my dvd drive got water in it and no longer works. the rest of my hard discs work fine... help please?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did the DVD drive get water in it or the disc itself? Given that you posted the disc. They shouldn't matter, DVD, CDs are basically plastic and as long as you don't scratch it, they can get wet.

As for your hard drive - did you run the diagnostics within the Drive Utility (found in Applications>Utilities) It will also provide the smart status as well. Both the smart status and the verify disk/repair disk will indicate if there's a problem or not

3. Saiakhasieth thread starter macrumors newbie

I just ran it again to check I was saying the right things.... I tried to re partitiion the drive but it only got so far as verify disk before coming up with "Could not modify partition map because filesystem verification failed"... I have repaired the disk with the terminal version of my dvd but so such luck... same thing... help!:confused::confused::eek::eek::apple:

4. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

You could try 2 things:

Boot from the install DVD and repair your disc in Disc utility then try adjusting the partitian sizes again.

Or, Clone your drive to another using Carbon Copy Cloner. Reformat and partitian your old drive how you want it. Then clone your data back.

5. Saiakhasieth thread starter macrumors newbie

the first one is basically what ive done... and the other- wouldnt a image backup (i use acronis for tafe) need a disk the same size as the orginial?