Verify Disk Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habitus, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Hey all,

I have a MBP 13" 2.26GHz and I replaced the internal hard drive with a 500GB drive. I tried verifying the hard disk (what exactly does this do?) and every time I try, I get the spinning wheel and Finder says it's not responding? Any Ideas?

Thanks!

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Verifying the disk is the same as running scandisk on Windows 9x or chkdsk on Windows NT, if that makes in any clearer. Essentially it verifies that the file system is intact, with no inconsistencies. It doesn't check the contents of files on the disk, just the structure of the file system and the drives logical state.

When you are verifying the disk, Finder and any other applications running off of the disk being verified may become unresponsive because the disk is being checked for consistency. There is nothing wrong with that in of itself. Does Finder eventually recover on its own, and does Disk Utility give a report as to the condition of the disk after completion of the disk check?

3. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks for the quick response. I have a few things running right now and will try again when I can close the applications. Finder did stop responding, but I didn't wait much longer to force quit the application. How long should it take?

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Perhaps 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure as I've never timed it, but certainly not much longer than that.

5. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks Mr. Gates! I feel like a moron; you're right. I waited a little longer, and voila! Verified disk. Thanks for your help. I always knew you'd come around...

Habitus

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

No problem. We all had to start somewhere!