Verify Time Machine Backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pedzsan, Jul 19, 2019.

1. pedzsan macrumors member

pedzsan

Around Thanksgiving last year, I had to restore my laptop from a Time Machine backup. What was a little stressful was the most recent backup didn't work. I had to go back a week or more to a version that fully restored completely.

Is there a way, other than restoring the backup onto a laptop somewhere to verify that the restore from a particular date is going to work? And, is there a way to perhaps repair a backup taken on a given date?

I guess, my other question is how often does this happen to others? This was (to the best of my memory) the first time I've tried to restore from a TM backup and, it did work, eventually, but it took me about five or so tries.

2. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

Remember the old system administrator's adage: if it's worth backing up, it's worth backing up twice.

I've seen Time Machine fail too many times during the backup process (not restore) to convince me it is not trustworthy. Who knows how many other bungled TM backup snapshots I have amongst the ones the concluded without failing.

For this reason, I don't try to full system restores from Time Machine backups.

My second backup is with Carbon Copy Cloner to an external disk. This is a far more reliable method of making a reliable bootable snapshot.

Anyhow, glad to hear you were able to get things pieced back together more or less.

3. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

I think there was another adage that went "The only true way to verify a backup is to restore it."
    Time Machine is great when it works, which is most of the time, and is my goto for quickly restoring files but having a second full backup is priceless and I too recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. I'd also suggest an offsite backup solution for those really important files and for that I use ARQ with B2.

4. pedzsan thread starter macrumors member

pedzsan

I know roughly about CCC but never used it. Your wisdom is obvious.

Is it possible to make a copy via CCC and make it bootable? If anyone has good links to CCC tutorials and examples, that would be great.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

Here are links to CCC's website:
    https://bombich.com
    https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5

You can download a fully functional for 30 days CCC app before having to purchase it to continue use.