Verifying a Disk Image Is Successfully Ejected

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdocdp, Sep 22, 2018.

1. jdocdp macrumors member

I recently upgraded from Lion to High Sierra and one thing that's bugging me is that Disk Utility is no longer logging (apparently as of El Capitan if I'm not mistaken).

It is very important to me to get back the "Show Log" option. Can I?

Otherwise, if that's not possible, I really need to know when I successfully eject disk images in order to rest assured that there's no file corruption involved. Is there any way (or even an app, other than Disk Utility) to verify for me, each time a disk image or volume is successfully ejected?

Thank you.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://www.alfredapp.com

I use a launcher app called Alfred that has a keyboard command to eject drives. It can eject all or you can select. Then it can be configured to give you a macOS notification when the drive is ejected.

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 8.36.12 AM.png

3. chabig macrumors 603

When I eject a disk image or volume, the icon disappears from the desktop (and all Finder sidebars). What more do you need?

4. jdocdp thread starter macrumors member

Oh, that's all I need? Sorry, I was thinking that maybe the icon does disappear, but we don't know if it was ejected successfully, or with an error that could go unnoticed. That's all.

As long as it ejects, it means it ejects successfully, i.e. with no errors involved?

5. chabig macrumors 603

Yes. If there are any errors or failures you will get an alert. If the icon goes away, it’s successfully ejected.

6. jdocdp thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.