Verifying takes 17 hrs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sako7stw, Jan 24, 2010.

1. sako7stw macrumors member

Ok I wiped out the hard drive and tried to install Snow Leopard and I got an error message and stopped the install. I started the computer again and went into disk utilities. Tried to do a disk repair and it failed. So I thought maybe I need to verify the disk. I did that and now it is telling me 17 hrs to complete??? Should I just stop the verification?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If there's nothing on the drive, go into Disk Utility, select the drive in the left column (not the indented icon), and click Erase. Under Security Options, click Zero Out Data, then accept that and click Erase.

That'll take a while, but hopefully not 17 hours.

3. sako7stw thread starter macrumors member

Once I do this should I do anything else before I go on to installing Snow Leopard? I tried to install it, because it did finally complete the verification. The hard drive wouldnt show up though for a disk to install it on???

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's possible that the hard drive is dying. Why did you decide to reinstall?

5. sako7stw thread starter macrumors member

I kept having problems when I would turn it on. A white screen with a grey file folder that was blinking that had a "?" mark in it. I was also upgrading to Snow Leopard. I had this happen awhile back and reinstalling the software fixed it

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, the problem could be with the hard drive. Before my iBook's hard drive died I tried to zero it out (one pass), a process which in its case took the better part of a week. Sure-fire sign of drive failure.

7. sako7stw thread starter macrumors member

Well it still isnt showing the drive. I have restarted it atleast 10 times now. Guess i am headed to Salt Lake City tomorrow to get my I-Mac fixed. I just hope I still have a year left on my Applecare. I think I do.