Verizon $200.00 iPhone trade in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brando123b, Sep 18, 2014.

1. brando123b macrumors regular

brando123b

I'm trading in an old iPhone 4 for the $200.00 trade in promotion.

The stipulation is that you have to order an iPhone 6 by 9/30. This may be a stupid question but does the iPhone have to be ordered from vzw.com or could I purchase one from Apple and still get the credit?

I ask because Apple has a 7-10 day shipping wait and Verizon says 10/21. So clearly faster on Apple.com.

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

IIRC, it has to be purchased from Verizon themselves. Either on EDGE, 2 Year Contract or Full Price (early EDGE is not eligible).

It doesn't say in the FAQs. I'd call Verizon and ask, but I'm pretty sure it has to be purchased through them.

3. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Yes, it has to be purchased directly from them.

I confirmed this with several VZW reps though chat and their forum.

4. Izauze macrumors 6502

No it does not need to be purchased directly from them. Their FAQ does not list that in their limitations and chat transcripts from Verizon supervisors have been posted on this forum.

5. pmcdn macrumors regular

I've spoken with a VZW manager. She said as long as it works and the glass is not cracked or chipped, you'll get $200. If it's a 5S, you'll get in the $300 range. You have until November to trade it in.

They will send you a virtual Verizon gift card to be used with Verizon any way you wish.

6. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Yes, it does.

Their FAQ doesn't mention this but many people have already confirmed with various VZW reps on chat and forums that you need to.

7. Izauze macrumors 6502

You can get a chat rep to confirm that the sky is green. If it's not in their conditions, it's not in their conditions. End of story.

And with the post above, you now have 2 accounts of management confirmation.

8. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Speaking of Verizon's iPhone trade in. Has anyone received their packaging in the mail yet to ship it back?

9. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

I don't see any confirmations. Where are they? Where are the 2 accounts?

I see one guy saying he talked to someone. Where's the proof?

:rolleyes:

10. aabb111 macrumors newbie

I just wanted to offer the info I had. I spoke to verizon phone customer rep and my local store and both confirmed that the phones have to be bought through verizon and not through apple. The verizon phone rep initially thought it wouldn't matter where I bought it, but he read the fine print of the promotion available to them (different from the one we see online) and it said that it has to be bought through verizon (it was something along the lines of "phones bought through other retail stores would not be eligible for the promotion). The customer rep said that "other retail stores" probably refer to apple, target, best buy, and such. He was reading that for the first time as well, and apologized for giving me the wrong info initially.

Obviously, if you find a verizon store manager who is willing to honor the promotion, that is great for you. I really wanted to buy the phone through apple as well, bc I have an apple gift card, but it is what it is.

My understanding is that when reps say you can still trade in your old iphones if you buy the iphone 6 from apple, they are saying that you are still eligible for the NON-PROMO trade-in value (~50 for iphone 4, ~100 for 4s, and such). But in order to be eligible for the $200 promo, the phone has to be bought through verizon.

11. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

That's what I heard too.

Many Verizon reps got the wrong info during and several hours after the preorder.

Now they're all saying you have to preorder directly from them if you want the $200 iPhone trade-in. They have a regular trade-on program going on too and I believe for that one you don't have to order from Verizon.

12. Izauze macrumors 6502

Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 7.14.51 PM.png

13. aabb111 macrumors newbie

The rep was obviously misinformed. Good luck convincing your corporate store with that chat transcript.

14. andcool69 macrumors member

yep that was me. I have 2 different chats with reps confirming this. So I am good either way.

15. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

I think they just want to ensure you don't "buy" from the shady guy on the corner.

"The appraised value includes a promotional offer that requires a purchase of an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on Verizon Wireless by 9/30/2014"

Meaning ATT customers can't trade-in and stay an ATT customer.

16. Izauze macrumors 6502

Yup so obvious. Stay at home and don't try. I'll just be over here with my $200 - don't mind me ;)

17. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

I called my local store. They said it can be bought from Apple. You just have to active the phone on Verizon.

18. aabb111 macrumors newbie

I ordered my phone through verizon and confirmed for delivery tomorrow. So, this issue doesn't affect me at all. I am not trying to win some argument, as I already know what I know after hearing the fine print of the promotion from the phone rep. Like I said, if you buy the phone through apple and can convince your store managers to honor the promo, more power to you. I am just trying to offer information for other people that view the thread, who want to know the official conditions of the promotion.

19. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

Mine came in the mail this afternoon. I filled out the form Friday morning.

20. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Friday morning for me too. I must be getting mine tomorrow.

21. sangreal06 macrumors member

In case anyone was still wondering; I purchased through apple.com and just got this notice from Verizon:
    I guess I will call them and argue about the terms but I'm not that worried about it since I was trading in a 5 in good shape

22. MacMonkey13 macrumors member

I pre-ordered my new iPhone 6 through Verizon last Friday (9/12) but it is not scheduled to ship until 10/3. Will I still be eligible for the trade-in of my old iPhone 5?

23. Izauze macrumors 6502

I didn't need a chat transcript. I just went in and handed them my iPhone 4 and got the $200 - as expected.

Once he completed the transaction, I mentioned that some people online had heard from customer service reps that you needed to order the 6 through Verizon directly. He didn't seem surprised that a few reps were misinformed and giving out bad information. If you can, I'd give it another shot.

24. Millionaire2K macrumors 6502a

So to quickly update. I walked into my local Verizon store today with:

1 iphone 4
    3 iphone 5

I told them I bought and activated 4 iphone 6's at the apple store and I would like to trade the 4 phones in.

The lady said "no problem"

She then went line by line looking that I activated 4 iphone 6's.

She then put each phone in a green bag and wrote some numbers on it.

10 mins later I had 4 gift cards for a total of $800.

So I had no problems getting the $200 for each phone even when I bought 3 of my 4 phones directly at apple. I then asked about it and she said "it doesn't matter" "you just need to activate the device on the lines you want the credit on"

So if anyone has any issues with mail-in just take them to the store.