Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Just a bit ago around the public release of iOS 9.2, Carrier Version Verizon 23.1 came out and now I've already got an update for 23.2. However, I still do not have the option for Wi-Fi Calling.

Verizon announced recently that Wi-Fi calling will be out in early 2016 for iPhones, (iPhone 6 / 6 plus and up correct?) and it's already available on Galaxy S6 series (confirmed on a family member's Verizon S6Edge). With the amount of carrier updates as of late, I'd expect "Early 2016" to really mean early, sometime in January in other words. Particularly due to the fact that the feature is already available on some handsets.

Hoping I'm right about all these updates possibly indicating a wifi calling release being just around the corner. Verizon has made us all wait far too long for this. I'm not in dire need of the feature, but I just want the assurance that it's there if I do need it in a pinch. It also could help save some battery life when I have a working signal, but a somewhat weak one.

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
I'm in the same boat, I'd like to see how the wifi-calling would work and help with battery life. Where I live I get between 1-2 "dots"/bars of signal and I know it has brought down my battery life a good bit from when I lived somewhere with 3-4 bars all the time.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I'm in the same boat, I'd like to see how the wifi-calling would work and help with battery life. Where I live I get between 1-2 "dots"/bars of signal and I know it has brought down my battery life a good bit from when I lived somewhere with 3-4 bars all the time.
Yeah same. I don't know what you have 1-2 bars of but I have 1-2 bars of LTE in my house usually, -118 dbm to -100 dbm. I never get dropped calls or anything and I still get like 10 down 3 up, but the signal is iffy enough where I feel like it could be contributing to battery drain. Would rather use wifi calling to try and mitigate the issue.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Wifi calling for iPhones should be ready some time in January of 2016
Nice it seems like it will be soon like you said. I only remember them saying "Early 2016" which can mean anything knowing Verizon lol which is where my concern is.

Reactions: 3568358

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I'd like to see how the wifi-calling would work and help with battery life. Where I live I get between 1-2 "dots"/bars of signal ....

If you have one or two dots then then 9.2 should force and maintain Wifi Calling. At least that's what happens with AT&T.

And, yes, it helps with battery life.

Every once in a while with my 6S Plus, I'll put it in airplane mode and just use Wifi Calling.

HD Voice works on WiFi Calling, too.

Amazing stuff, HD Voice. I'm remembering a friend who was out in the open walking his dog, and had me on speaker. I never even knew that I was on speaker until he told me. HD Voice was suppressing all background noise and it sounded just like a regular high quality HD Voice call!

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
If you have one or two dots then then 9.2 should force and maintain Wifi Calling. At least that's what happens with AT&T.

And, yes, it helps with battery life.

Every once in a while with my 6S Plus, I'll put it in airplane mode and just use Wifi Calling.

HD Voice works on WiFi Calling, too.

Amazing stuff, HD Voice. I'm remembering a friend who was out in the open walking his dog, and had me on speaker. I never even knew that I was on speaker until he told me. HD Voice was suppressing all background noise and it sounded just like a regular high quality HD Voice call!
I plan on just doing airplane mode + wifi calling

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I am so glad Verizon has stopped with that bullcrap, what a sorry excuse for being too lazy to make your customers happy. Some brainwashed people agreed and were almost opposed to the implementation of the feature!
Wifi calling does little in the fringes, it's a great feature to have but for me not make or break. I can already make wifi calls through the messages app.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Now that 9.3 is out, how to tell if I'm using WiFi to make a call? I get 1-2 bars max at my house and consistently miss calls (I'll get notification of a missed call but no rings or one ring then straight to voicemail). Really looking forward to this. Just set up my emergency address and wifi calling and HD Voice are on (Verizon iPhone 6+).

Edit: looks like I can force it (thanks to another thread here) via airplane mode and turning back on wifi.

https://goo.gl/photos/LbMBxZvJiwDBpe8T9

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.