Verizon 30 dollar fee for upgrade from s3 to s4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by seattlecard, Oct 2, 2018.

1. seattlecard macrumors member

I just upgraded from an LTE S3 to the LTE S4. During the process of upgrading, Verizon stated they are going to charge a 30 dollar activation fee. Has anyone been hit with this? Kind of outrageous - the thing isn't a cell phone!

2. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Sounds like you deleted your plan from your old watch when you unpaired it? The reason for the charge is you’re activating a new line that your phone forwards to. If you kept the plan when you unpaired and followed the steps to switch the plan to the new device when pairing there shouldn’t be an activation charge.

3. lonman06 macrumors regular

I had the same issue and I made sure I did not delete my previous plan when upgrades. Seems ridiculous that they would charge $30 to upgrade from one watch to another. I just hope they will not actually charge this fee.

4. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

Call them and complain. The upgrade fee is painful. To pay it 2x is not right. My account doesn’t show any charges but I didn’t cancel out the old account as mentioned above.

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Deleting the plan from your old Watch when unpairing should not cancel the plan. But when you added the new Watch you may have triggered a new plan to be added.
    Call Verizon.

6. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

I think that’s standard with them.

Never underestimate the greed with those guys. I had a phone stolen and got hit with it when I bought a replacement. I solved my anger by buying an unlocked refurb and going prepaid.

7. ReardenMetal macrumors regular

ReardenMetal

I’ve seen conflicting tips on doing this. Some say to keep the cellular plan when unpairing the old watch, then pair the new watch and follow the prompts when the setup process recognizes your plan.
    Apple’s own support document says to remove the old watch’s Cellular plan when unpairing the old watch.
    Link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207578

8. Renjo2007 macrumors regular

Renjo2007

Hi if I kept the plan after unpair, there’s still monthly fee right?

9. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Of course there is.

10. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502a

Jason Hensley

I went from an S3 to an S4 with Verizon and I didn't have to pay an upgrade fee. Thats rediculous if they are making you pay the $30 activation fee again, especially considering that $10 is too high per month to begin with.