Verizon 3G not as good as AT&T's

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I went to Verizon and tried a Storm 2 with VZW's 3 G and I tried a bunch of different websites and my iPhone blew the Storm away on each and every website however I am sticking with the iPhone bc my service is great and lately my wife is having a lot of trouble with her blackberry on VZW services.

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it really isn't a fair test since you are using different equipment to test but until an iPhone can get on Verizon it will have to do i guess

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

We need two stickies:

That way we can just combine all of these opinionated threads into one depending on where one stands.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Real life usage doesn't need to be fair, whatever works better for you is the clear winner.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

One big QFT. Next...

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Different cities will have different speeds too. You can see similar results from NZ where the fastest network depends on where you are.

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

GREEEEAATTT IDDEAA!!!!

I vote yes

8. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

True, if he was saying which one is better to him, but it is not fair when he is comparing as if it is that way everywhere.

But i do agree with you that whichever works best for you is the winner lol.

9. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Really? Yeah, I guess I did see a commercial or two about that.

:rolleyes:

10. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am in Central New Jersey where both services are about the same, Verizon is more common however over the last few years AT&T is coming on stronger.

I was in a Verizon Store where their signal is really strong, however both phones are similar and I used websites that work on both phones, and I was in a Verizon (Strong) area.

I was simply amazed at how strong the AT&T signal was. This is not an opinion, however just a test but I am sure there are those who love the BB Storm 2 and would prefer them over an iPhone with AT&T for one reason or another.

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that under ideal conditions (and usually they make sure that in the store is as near to ideal as possible) UMTS/HSPDA is faster than EVDO. Whether that's going to be the case in the real world is another matter.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

go back and try this

if you really want to compare www.Speedtest.net since it test both upload/download speed. not really testing the browser or the phone, but the data speed that's a better way to go.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's well known that AT&T's technology is technically the faster technology.

The problem is that Verizon has better coverage and AT&T is overloaded. So in the real world you'll find that Verizon performs better in many, many, many places.

But yeah, if you're in a place with a good AT&T signal that's not being overloaded with iPhones it's certainly possible for AT&T to perform better in that situation.

It really comes down to where you live.