Verizon 3G replacement device - migrating data account

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mhinrichs, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mhinrichs macrumors newbie

Spent 45 minutes with Verizon on the phone to replace my iPad2 on the prepaid account after I got a warranty exchange today.
    It felt like I was the first person to ever call with this question so I am posting this to make this easier for others. This should only take a few minutes.

Plugged in replacment iPad, restored from itunes backup to the new iPad and it said "no service". I could not log into the account at all.
    After long trial and errors this is what worked with the phone rep.

1. Restore iPad from backup
    2. Power OFF and ON. iPad said "no service"
    3. Call Verizon Prepaid Support
    4. Use your DATA PHONE number when talking to service rep, which is found in the registration email. In my case it was some random number in my area code ( probably based on mailing address on account)
    5. Verizon needs to assign the new iPad's MEID (found in ABOUT screen) to the account
    6. Power Cycle iPad. It will show "Verizon 3G"
    7. Access Settings - Cellular Data - View Account, it should now ask for login and password.
    8. iPad will show a message to "reprovision account" which is found in Settings - General - Reset - Subscriber Services.
    9. iPad will switch to "no service" again.
    10. Power Cycle iPad, will show "Verizon 3G" again.
    11. Log back in to Cellular Data - View Account
    12. iPad should show your account now.

Warning! At step 8 Verizon insisted I need a new email account, which I refused, I'm not going to sign up a new email account every time the device is switched.
    It wasn't necessary at all, but they didn't know that another reboot will resolve this.

Hopefully this will help make this easier for other users and Verizon will have better documentation for their support hotline available in the future.

2. CED1969 macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thanks to your fabulous and detailed instructions I was able to complete the transfer of my Verizon data plan from one iPad to the next in five minutes! I really appreciate you taking the time to document all of the steps.

I would also add that people who are going to do this should make sure they select "advanced data plan assistance" from the Verizon IVR when they call, vs. just "general data questions".

Thank you again!
    Carol

3. marlinmike macrumors newbie

Was there a PIN and/or security question when you originally setup your Prepaid account?
    If so, did the support tech REQUIRE that you had it?

4. tirnszw, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

tirnszw macrumors member

For your info, all I had to do was "reprovison" on the new one and "reset network" on old one after calling with my data number and MEID. And the whole process only took a few minutes.

See my post here for details:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1124484&highlight=

You could have saved the 45 minutes by searching for my response in the thread. ;)

There was no pin or security question.