Verizon 3G soooo slow, would ATT sim be better

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patricem, May 29, 2012.

1. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

(New ipad Verizon model) 3 days a week I have to use my Verizon cellular, and I only get 3G. It is soooo slow, up to 4-5 minutes for a page to load sometimes. Uggg. Question is if I got an ATT sim, put it in there, would I get better speed? Thanks

2. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

It all depends on your coverage. What good is the AT&T service when it's only going to be at one bar?

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

ATT and Verizon radios are not compatible, or does the iPad contain both?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

The chipset in the iPad supports both ATT and Verizon 3G. IIRC, LTE is carrier specific.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I see that now, thanks.

For the record, only the Verizon iPad supports both networks (with the requisite SIM card for Verizon LTE or ATT service), the ATT one omits the CDMA and LTE radios needed for US Verizon service.

6. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I've read that AT&T's 3G speeds are faster. This will obviously vary from market to market. I was in Cincinnati and 3G (AT&T) was so slow that dropping to 2G was faster! (Apparently AT&T is resolving that issue now.)

7. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

I remember reading before something about Verizon falls back to ED-VO speeds and AT&T something else? This is almost unusable. I am wondering if something could be wrong with this iPad? How can it be so so slow? I am in a residential area, not the boonies. Some pages try load for 4-5 minutes then just say ,"can not connect to server". Impossible to get anything constructive done.

8. Holoshed macrumors regular

The thing is, with AT&T you have the hspa+ if you don't have their LTE (most everywhere I would assume, don't know specifics). With Verizon you do fall back on EVDO which is slower than hspa+.

With some work you can use hspa+ AT&T in a Verizon iPad but is it worth the work to you?

Personally I just took the AT&T and am happy. Do I have AT&T LTE here? No. Do I miss it? No.

To me the best option was the open box AT&T other people switching took back. Apple was even kind enough to add AC+ even after the 30 days was up (previous owner registered it and messed up purchase date in their system.)

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah my hspa+ or what att likes to call "4g" is in most of the southern states i travel to. I get about 5 mbps on it

10. patricem thread starter macrumors 6502

patricem

I do hate to mess around with it but it is grueling to use it how it is now. I mean, 5 minutes for a page to load? I clocked it. 5 minutes????? Then part of the time it doesn't load at all, or only 1/2 of the pics come up. I am at this location 3 days a week 36 hours and I got it hoping to get some stuff done with it there. Why is it so slow? I mean, its like dial up. I think I'll call Apple tomorrow see what they suggest.

11. Holoshed macrumors regular

Let me say it like this... Verizon is not AS bad as Sprint right now in terms of turtle slow EVDO but it is not really that much better.

I am not one to tell anyone what they "should" do but if I were in your position and there was NO way to return the Verizon iPad and you were fed up with EVDO (with no LTE available), you could get an AT&T microsim and borrow someone's iPad to start up an AT&T account. You wont be able to manage it from the device but there is always the AT&T website for pre-paid iPads.

EVDO is EVDO, even if its Rev. 0, Rev. A etc. It will be a fallback and not worth it in my opinion.

I got Sprint for my iPhone since it was the cheapest (discount) but in terms of speed I suffer.

Maybe that is why Verizon pushed out LTE so fast, they knew that in terms of EVDO they could not compete with Verizon.

Now I will add, I am no fan boy of any carrier. I use AT&T on iPad, Sprint on iPhone and have experience with me being an ex Verizon customer and helping a good deal others with their Verizon phones/service. They all have their issues.