Verizon 4G LTE - Extended Coverage Area

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacLifer, Mar 17, 2012.

1. MacLifer macrumors member

Supposedly I am in a Verizon 4G LTE "Extended Coverage Area" - the Verizon website says about this coverage:

"Access the 4G LTE network within the Extended Coverage Area; certain conditions may cause your service to connect to 3G in this Area."

Sitting at home, mine says 3G all the time.

What are the *conditions* where it would be 4G LTE?

2. winterny macrumors 6502

Basically they are saying that there's an area nearby you that does actually have LTE towers. Signal *might* be strong enough to reach the LTE towers ... They also might not. For you, they aren't.

Personally I think the "Extended Coverage" thing is a scam ... I live well within the LTE Coverage area, and I do get 2 bars of LTE from my house -- which yields about 2Mbps down and 200Kbps up (Comparable to AT&T's UMTS service). If I drive towards the tower that serves my neighborhood, as soon as I'm at 4 or 5 bars, I can get 10-20Mbps down and 7-10Mbps up.

The map in my area shows the "Extended Coverage" going out about 10 miles away from the "LTE Coverage" area, but I'm only about 2 miles from the tower, and have very borderline signal already. I don't see how anyone 10 miles away, but still in a urban/suburban area will ever get a working signal on LTE, and I think they will just always end up on EVDO.

I hope EVDO is good in your area (It's not in my area, but I have friends who say that the EVDO is much faster than AT&T's UMTS in their area).

In the long run, it won't matter -- Verizon will probably have LTE throughout their footprint in about 1 year, and if you're in "extended coverage" now, they will probably upgrade your towers sooner than that.

Besides, you likely spend some time working/playing in the LTE area (Isn't that the point? I only use LTE when I'm on the go, in the house I use Wi-Fi, which is faster than LTE anyway)

3. MacLifer thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, won't need 4G LTE too much in the house, unless my internet was down or something. But that extended service area just seems strange.

I did read somewhere that prepaid plans are less likely to get 4G LTE coverage in an extended area. But I am not sure if that is true or not.

4. Chris Grande, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

I'm finding that in this extended LTE area that my 3G drops and then cycles as it attempts to connect - EVERY 5-10 minutes. Disabling LTE stops that. The funny part is at home I get 5 bars of LTE with 25Mbps down!

5. KPOM macrumors G5

If the tower is owned by a roaming partner, then prepaid plans normally won't have access to it.

6. cardfan macrumors 6502a

What's the current PRL number for those with verizon ipads? Just curious as i'm having unusable speeds in an extended 3G area. Often times i can't even connect even though it shows 4-5 bars of extended 3G. This is an area that works fine with verizon phones.

7. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

The confusion of Verizon. Extended 2G/3G is roaming. Extended LTE is "dang weak signal you might be able to pick up outside standing still in perfect conditions"