Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

napos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Hi Folks,

I have a Verizon MiFi device, post-paid on contract. I also have the new iPad, Verizon flavor 4G.

Now I understand that:
  • iPad Verizon LTE require MicroSIM
  • Verizon MiFi device has regular SIM
  • I could "cut" the regular Mifi SIM and put into my iPad Verizon LTE

If I do all those steps above, "refresh" the cellular settings so it registers, I see that it gets "updated" on myVerizon. Having said all that, Verizon obviously knows what we are doing due to the hardware change -- is this something legit or something Verizon can raise issue with down the road?

I also want to leave the option open to reuse my "cut" microSIM via SIM adapter back in the MiFi later down the road.

Thanks

laff2

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I do this and Verizon allows it.

You can order the cutter and adapter kits on eBay. Cut your card and place it in the iPad 3 and your good to go, No need to change anything with Verizon.

napos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
I do this and Verizon allows it.

You can order the cutter and adapter kits on eBay. Cut your card and place it in the iPad 3 and your good to go, No need to change anything with Verizon.

Thank you, your answered my question that reading 100s of posts didn't make crystal clear for me.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Hi Folks,

I have a Verizon MiFi device, post-paid on contract. I also have the new iPad, Verizon flavor 4G.

Now I understand that:
  • iPad Verizon LTE require MicroSIM
  • Verizon MiFi device has regular SIM
  • I could "cut" the regular Mifi SIM and put into my iPad Verizon LTE

If I do all those steps above, "refresh" the cellular settings so it registers, I see that it gets "updated" on myVerizon. Having said all that, Verizon obviously knows what we are doing due to the hardware change -- is this something legit or something Verizon can raise issue with down the road?

I also want to leave the option open to reuse my "cut" microSIM via SIM adapter back in the MiFi later down the road.

Thanks

Yep, this is completely supported by Verizon which is awesome for me. I am in the same exact position. I have a MiFi and a VZW iPad LTE. I canceled the LTE iPad plan, cut the MiFi SIM to a microSIM to fit into the iPad and it works flawlessly. Logging into the account for the MiFi has the iPad shown as my device now instead of the MiFi. This has saved me money, since I was still under a contract with the MiFi and now I don't have to pay for 2 data accounts.

bryenz

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
East Bay, CA
Yep, this is completely supported by Verizon which is awesome for me. I am in the same exact position. I have a MiFi and a VZW iPad LTE. I canceled the LTE iPad plan, cut the MiFi SIM to a microSIM to fit into the iPad and it works flawlessly. Logging into the account for the MiFi has the iPad shown as my device now instead of the MiFi. This has saved me money, since I was still under a contract with the MiFi and now I don't have to pay for 2 data accounts.

I just did the same thing this morning. Easiest hack ever. Now I just need to put the old month-to-month SIM back, so that I can cancel the $30/2G plan. The radio and battery life are much better in the iPad plus you can tether while plugged in, which drove me nuts about the MiFi.

Even better, my MiFi line had the corporate discount on it...

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Even better, my MiFi line had the corporate discount on it...

For some reason my corporate discount won't or isn't being applied on it. It's still $50. It is added to the account since it's listed there when I log in but it's not discounted. I was told it only works for voice, not data?

bryenz

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
East Bay, CA
For some reason my corporate discount won't or isn't being applied on it. It's still $50. It is added to the account since it's listed there when I log in but it's not discounted. I was told it only works for voice, not data?

Hm. When I signed up for the MiFi, I asked and they said "yes, you'll get the discount". I had an old 3G hotspot before with the discount so maybe it just grandfathered over or something. It's also a weird amount - 19% - and has been on my account since something like 2006.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Hm. When I signed up for the MiFi, I asked and they said "yes, you'll get the discount". I had an old 3G hotspot before with the discount so maybe it just grandfathered over or something. It's also a weird amount - 19% - and has been on my account since something like 2006.

Yeah, it's weird. It even has some sort of calculation to show the "discount." It shows the plan at $50. Then it says the Discount is $0 so the total is $50. It's been like that since June of last year.

napos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Great news all. Got my mifi sim cut, put it in the iPad and bam, I am in business. The best part is that I have corp discount on my 5gb data so after taxes I am paying $39!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.