Verizon 4s on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thejadedmonkey, Aug 6, 2014.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Just wondering what the state of affairs is for the Verizon 4s, on AT&T. My significant other is going to get a 6 when it comes out, and I figured I'd play around with her 4s for a bit.

But she's on Verizon and I'm on AT&T.

Adding to the complications, everything I can find is from 3 years old, and talking about iOS 5 jailbreaks.

And how does the recent legislation requiring carriers to unlock phones factor into this situation. My understanding is that they (as of a few months ago) would unlock the phone for any GSM network aside from T-Mobile and AT&T.

Is this doable in any way?

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Two completely different chips in the vzw and att 4s since they don't use sims.

There is no gms chip in the vzw 4s so its not going to work. Jailbreak or not.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

The iPhone 4s, regardless of the original cell provider, does do GSM, which is why there's a SIM slot. (There's only one hardware version of the 4s.) However, Verizon apparently demanded that the phone will never work with other US cell providers so it does not. Verizon will unlock the phone so it can be used on international GSM providers, but that's it.

----------

Unfortunately, Verizon, with Apple, made it so this will never work.

4. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Will legislation such as this have any effect?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nope. That just makes unlocking legal (again), but that's basically it. (By the way, that legislation already passed the whole congress and has been signed into law by the president.)

6. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

7. iMerik macrumors 6502

Can it go the other way? Can I unlock my AT&T iPhone 4S and give it to someone on Verizon to use?

8. C DM, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

No. Only Verizon phones will work on Verizon (and same for Sprint).

An unlocked AT&T phone will work on T-Mobile though or most other GSM carriers.

9. iMerik macrumors 6502

Thanks. That is what I was concluding from Googling around, but there is a TON of incorrect information on this topic, starting with people claiming the iPhone 4S doesn't have both CDMA & GSM. I guess they are half right when it comes to Verizon being an @ssh0le about it essentially rendering the phone unable to actually make use of both antennas.

It looks like I'll be selling my phone next month and advertising it to GSM customers only. :D Thanks again.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.