Carrier Verizon 5s at full price: questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mazer75, Oct 29, 2013.

1. mazer75 macrumors newbie

I plan on buying a 5s to replace the dying Galaxy S3 I have. I want to keep my Verizon unlimited data, so I'm going to fork over full price.

What I'd like to know are answers to the following questions:
    • Will the SIM from my GS3 fit in the 5s?
    • Do the Verizon 5s phones come with SIMs pre-installed?
    • Should I buy the full priced phone from an Apple Store or Verizon Store, or does it even matter?

Thanks!

2. jimmyusmc macrumors member

This is from my own experience.

#1. No it won't
    #2. Yes it does
    #3. Who ever has it first. So call both stores and find out if they received a shipment of the iPhones.

Good Luck!

3. Raibyn macrumors regular

From my experience:

1. No, but you can cut it down to fit. I've done this many times.
    2. Yes, it should come with one pre-installed, making #1 a non issue if you buy from Verizon or Apple and have them activate that SIM.
    3. I would pick an Apple store over a Verizon store anytime: better experience, better customer service. I hate going into a carrier store, especially Verizon.

4. mazer75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses!

I will probably just use the pre-installed SIM, as the SIM in my GS3 is pretty old.

Do I have to activate my phone in the Apple Store or can I just do it from home? I'd rather do it from home.

5. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

No. You will have to cut the SIM down to size or have your account transferred onto the other Verizon SIM card.
    Yes
    It doesn't matter if you get it from the Apple store full priced or the Verizon Store. All Verizon iPhones are GSM unlocked.

6. phositadc macrumors 6502

If you pay full price they probably won't make you activate it. I did this just yesterday. Unfortunately, I regret not opening it and inspecting it at the store because the screen has a nasty scratch on it near the home button, so I'm going to have to go back and exchange it. I noticed the scratch as soon as I removed the factory screen film so I never even activated the phone!

7. jassco2 macrumors newbie

I had to order mine through Verizon store because of the unlimited plan. I too had unlimited data and to keep it I think you have to deal with Verizon directly. I took the current offer of 6GB plan they are offering those with unlimited to switch to for the same $30 a month just with 6GB cap now.

I would not have been able to deal with my specific plan issue at the Apple store I was told. Check with the apple store to confirm that first. Stock is limited still, so call both to check.

8. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

you could have apple replace it faster and it's a 4G phone so nothing is activated

9. phositadc macrumors 6502

What do you mean? I'm planning on having Apple replace it at an apple store. Is there a faster way?

10. Whtchdr macrumors member

Better to get it at the Apple store so you have 30 days to return/exchange it if you change your mind. Verizon only allows 14 days. No restocking fee at the Apple store either.

11. mazer75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I will try to get it from the Appel Store, as I have several nearby me (in SoCal).

12. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

I am in the same boat. Bought my last 2 phones full price. You don't need a SIM card. Buy the phone from apple store, MUCH better than Verizon. Then call verizon from a different phone and give them the two numbers they need from the phone settings. Simple.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe you need a SIM for LTE.

14. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

You need a sim card for Voice and data

15. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

There's a SIM card in the new iPhone. All he has to do is but it full retail from apple store then call verizon with the imei or whatever it's called. I did it twice.

16. mazer75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for all the help!

I just wanted to post again and follow up, and confirm what many in this thread have said. The following are true:

• Was able to purchase 5s 64GB space gray at an Apple Store at full price. They didn't force me to activate the phone there and the guy who helped me said it would be better if I called and activated from home.
    • Verizon 5s iPhone comes with SIM pre-installed.
    • Very easy to call Verizon and activate my new phone on my current account.
    • Also no problems with keeping my unlimited data.

Overall, I am super stoked and love my new iPhone 5s! My last iPhone was the the 3G, so it's been a LONG time. The phones I had in between were a Droid X and GS3. Both okay but it was time to come back to Apple (I mainly wanted the superior camera and smaller form factor).

Thanks again!

17. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Told ya so! Wouldn't it be easier if people didn't respond unless they knew for a fact.
    Congrats on the phone btw.

18. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

good to hear you did not have problems with the whole process.

I purchased mine at full price from bestbuy and they activated it for me as well while keeping my unlimited data.