Verizon 7+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lah, May 10, 2017.

1. lah macrumors regular

I recently switched from ATT to Verizon in order to take advantage of their unlimited deal but I will have to admit I'm a bit disappointed. I find the coverage in Washington DC not as good as claimed - I'm constantly at one or two dots (bars) and I find speeds can be slow pretty slow.

Anyone else experience the same in DC with Verizon? Is the Verizon 7+ known to have reception issues?

I like the cost of the plan, but the quality of service so far is lagging.

2. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

I live near Baltimore, but will be in DC Friday and will let you know. I have a 7 Plus on Verizon (factory unlocked) that I may be returning for other reasons but will be using it until Monday at least. I only get 1 bar in my house but have never lost service or reception. I've heard that the bars are not a great indicator of reception. Speeds have always been good on Verizon for me.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Interesting. Sad to hear that b/c I was thinking of going over to them. I always assumed Verizon was tops in DC. But the big bonus is being able to use your phone on the Metro. I've never had VZW myself. Up until recently I was with ATT since '07. I switched to TMob a few months ago and initially I thought it was great but it's turned into a disaster. Some Metro stations I can't get any data reception at all. I still don't like ATT but it seems they do have a great network here. Never had any real problems except maybe Nats Park but then who doesn't have issues in a crowed stadium. Maybe I'll go over to a pre-paid carrier that uses ATT.

4. DeathBecomesMe macrumors member

DeathBecomesMe

Verizon sucks in NOVA. I have multiple dropped calls every day. On iPhone or Android.

5. lah thread starter macrumors regular

I was under the same assumption. I thought VZW was the best in the DC area. I will admit the voice calls are a lot more stable with VZW since I switched but I find the data flaky and not as fast as I anticipated. ATT was much better in that regard. Also I find the wifi calling on VZW much better than when I had ATT.

6. Yankee512 Suspended

Yankee512

Same here. I switched and also agree that speeds are really slow with Verizon, and coverage is a bit choppy. My calls break up a lot more. I wish I could leave them, but looks like I am stuck for 2 years.

7. abz117 macrumors newbie

abz117

T-Mobile uses Band 4 (Primary), Band 12 (New-Primary), and Band 2 (Rural areas)

Most likely with T-Mobile, you'll be on B4 90% of the time. B12 is still being deployed, and even then you only connect to it if you can't get B4 signal (building penetration)

Verizon is Band 13 (Primary), Band 4 (Secondary), and Band 2 (Rural areas)

B13 is pretty congested for Verizon, so a lot of them are being forwarded over to B4 when they can.

AT&T is Band 17 (Primary), Band 4 (Secondary), Band 2 (Secondary), Band 5 (Rural), Band 29 (New-Secondary), Band 30 (New-Primary).

AT&T's B17 is pretty congested as well, so they're trying to get people on B4/B2 when they can. Also, B29 is a download-only link (with a similar penetration as B17), and that's not in all areas either. B30 is new, a bit higher frequency (2300), but would help in dense areas.

The way AT&T and VZW started off LTE, they used low-band (700b/c)(B17/B13). This had a great advantage w/ building penetration (the lower the more penetration). T-Mobile started with a higher band B4 (1700/2100), good for speed, but not for long-distances or building penetration. However, AT&T and VZW devices are so saturated with 700 that their speeds are suffering, hence why they are trying to alleviate load with the other bands (primarily B2/B4). AT&T interestingly has a lot of bands to juggle as well, with B29 (700d) for download, and B30 (2300) for new-primary.

T-Mobile finally got in the low-band game most recently with B12 (700a), but still has a bit of catching up to do.

So technically a B2/B4 phone works on all 3 carriers (AT&T/VZW/T-Mobile), although B2/B4 is only secondary for AT&T/VZW. T-Mobile benefits the most since B4 is T-Mo's primary. If you're in a large metropolitan city (probably top 50 cities in the US), AT&T and VZW probably deployed B2/B4 to help alleviate the congestion on their B13/B17 bands, so most likely you'd connect to B2/B4 if you had AT&T/VZW in these large cities.

8. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Just an update - I am currently in DC and my coverage has been fine. Speeds are fast, and I'm even in the lower level of Medstar Washington Hospital Center with no issues.

9. lah thread starter macrumors regular

I will say the Verizon coverage for me has improved the past few days. Hoping it continues...