Verizon account question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Southernboyj, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I went to my local Verizon store.. And the manager said they will not be selling iPhone outright next week with no contract.

If I open a new line, get the iPhone.. And cancel the line the same day.. what happens? Can't I just pay the Early Termination Fee ($350) and everything be fine?

2. I7guy macrumors G5

I don't think it's that easy. VZW gives you a 14 day trial period. If you cancel the phone within 14 days, you must return all equipment.

If you cancel after 14 days, you are obligated to keep data on the line used for the phone subsidy for 2 years, even if you pay the ETF. So yes you can do what you want but you will spend at least $720 over two years on a data line.

3. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

If you pay the ETF the lines terminated. I've done this before.. But after like a year.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

Verizon changed their policy as of August 24 with switching a smartphone to a "dumb" phone and then dropping the data plan on the line. Now Verizon requires you to keep a data plan on the line used for the subsidy for two years.

Actually to prevent exactly the scenario you describe.

5. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I wasn't wanting to drop it to a dumb phone. I want to terminate the line completely.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

You can't terminate the line for two years as you are obligated to keep data on it for two years. Or I guess pay the data etf as well I guess; if there is such a thing. Do a web search for august operational updates. The major sites have the details.