Verizon affirms unlimited LTE data for LTE sim switchers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aneftp, Mar 24, 2012.

1. aneftp, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

aneftp macrumors 601

http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-af...ard-usage-in-hotspots-tablets-lte-ipad-20053/

"After several communications with Verizon’s press team, they did give us a truly straight-up answer… and here it is:

The SIM holds the detail of your data plan. If you move it to another device, you will be charged for the service you use. If you have an unlimited SIM and it fits another device, you can use it and you will pay for the service plan associated with the SIM."

I used 2GB of data in just two days with my Verizon iPad (used microsim from galaxy nexus).

Note. If you have CDMA unlimited data for iPhone this will not work. Only for 4G LTE smartphone users who want to put LTE sim into LTE iPad and don't have to pay extra for data.

2. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

It's also easier for phones that already have a Micro SIM card since that's also what the iPad takes.

I know these Verizon LTE phones have the micro sim:

-Galaxy Nexus
    -Droid Razr
    -Droid Razr Maxx

3. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

U could always ask for microsim from Verizon for free and than buy a microsim adapter for $5 on eBay if you have the older LTE phones like the thunderbolt.

Paying $129 extra for the Verizon LTE iPad is already saving me money.

Just stayed a luxury hotel where they charge you for wifi. Ridiculous. Strange most hotels give you free wifi. But luxury hotels like JW Marriott charge for wifi.

Anyways put my microsim into LTE iPad. I rarely even use my galaxy nexus for anything other than data. I have iPhone 4s as my main phone.

Got to use it as hotspot also for free.

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

How did paying the $129 save you money. First, you paid the $129 and then you paid for your month of service. $129 + $20 to $80=????. Was that more than the hotels charge for wi-fi? :D

5. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Thank you so much for posting this!!! :-D I did this already but its just good to know Verizon can't touch my plan! :)

6. aneftp, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

You don't get it. I am already paying $29.99 for my unlimited LTE smartphone data on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

I simply take microsim from my galaxy nexus and put it into Verizon iPad LTE.

Bamm. Verizon iPad works with my ore existing LTE data plan I already paid for. So I don't have to pay Verizon extra money for limited data. I am simply using the sim from my phone in the iPad. And it's unlimited LTE data plus hotspot I have on the iPad with my $29.99 smartphone data plan.

Say I went to hotel this weekend. Hotel doesn't offer free wifi. I simply put my sim from phone to iPad and use it as an Internet device and also can share the LTE data with any wifi device I want.

I travel up to 2 months out of the year. So having a mobile hotspot like the iPad where I can use LTE iPad data connection and do real work on my laptop helps greatly.

So,e hotels charge $15-20 per 24 hours for wifi especially the hotels I stay at these days.

That's saving me money.

7. bossxii macrumors 68000

Doing the same thing. Already have a 4S on AT&T but purchased a VZW phone account with unlimited data plan attached. Bought a used LTE Droid Razor from a buddy, moved the sim, all is right in the world having unlimited LTE data that is amazingly fast and reliable. I get to use the hotspot for free so the only feature I use on the razor is google navigation, tethered from my iPad, freakin amazing setup. :)

I'm mobile a lot, my choice was pay $80 bucks and monitor my data, or pay $70 for unlimited after a couple hundred up front. Verizon can't touch the plan or how I use the sim card per the FCC "strings" that allowed VZW to purchase and use the 700Mhz spectrum. Long run, it may replace my home Internet, short term it's simply amazing to use the new iPad with unlimited data. So much better than wifi performance.

8. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I'm still new and a bit confused regarding SIM switching for unlimited data. My sister has the unlimited data for her iPhone 4 for $30/mo for Verizon. She's thinking of giving of it to me since she doesn't use it as much as her unlimited AT&T data. Anyway, would that be possible now to ask VZW to transfer it into a micro SIM since the iPhone 4 doesn't have a SIM.

9. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

If you are a Marriott Rewards member it's free

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Gotcha, I missed the fact you had VZW AS your phone provider as well.

11. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

I am Hilton Diamond. But sometimes stay at Marriotts. The wifi sucks at some of these hotels anyways even if free.

12. MR1324 macrumors 6502

OK this is what I've been thinking about doing. However, now you are basically paying for 2 phone plans correct? One with your 4S/ATT and now with your Droid Rzor/VZW?

13. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

If your sister has a grandfatherd unlkmited iphone 4 Verizon and "giving u line?".

If thats the case Find a friend with a verizon lte phone phone Get your sisters iphone 4 line replaced with an lte phone Doesnt matter which one as long as u keep the UnlimitEd data.

Once u get the sim active on verizon. Put sim into Verizon iPad LTE and you are good to go. Can you ask your sister if you can do that?

----------

Looks like it.

I have the same setup. Att iphone 4s and verizon galaxy nexus

Except my Verizon line is a add a line with my brother being the primary line. So I pay my brother $35/month. Line is $10 plus $30 data minus 22% discount for me including data discount.

Not bad paying $35 for unlimited LTE data I can use on the iPad and still have option of using the LTE phone also.

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

This is great news. Ive been tethering for free from my thunderbolt but now i think im going to pick up the galaxy note when it comes to verizon and a verizon lte ipad

15. MR1324 macrumors 6502

That is great. However, as someone who doesn't have any one on Verizon, I would be paying 39.99 for the lowest voice plan + 30 for the unlimited data, so 70/month just to get unlimited LTE on my ipad. i also have a 4s, so i would be paying for 2 plans.

16. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah it makes sense for some people. Especially if you have a family member who can add a line for you or you already had verizon service as your main line I have carry two smartphones with me for the past 5 years. And believe it or not. Many people carry two smartphones with them a lot.

17. MR1324 macrumors 6502

do you know if there is any way to decrease the cost further for people like me? since i have the 4s, i really don't need the voice plan on vzw, but it seems like it is mandatory.

18. bossxii macrumors 68000

You are correct, I am paying for my normal cell bill which wouldn't change even if I was buying the Plans on Verizon and since I went through two gigs in just about a day I'm sure I would be spending at least $80 a month and data based on how I use my iPad. Paying for the unlimited data plan which is $30 plus the $40 voice plan with it is a waste but I'm still coming out cheaper than paying $80 for 10 gig block overall. I'm perfectly happy with my decision and I'm loving the LTE speed which is blowing away my home Wi-Fi. I've change my home Wi-Fi from the 24 Mb down to 3 Mb down and only use it when I load up update apps overnight otherwise my home Wi-Fi is useless. Not to mention this change to save me just shy of $30 with AT&T U-verse so overall I still look at is I'm paying $40 for my main Internet connection that I get to take with me 24/7.

19. MR1324 macrumors 6502

thanks for the response! i am in the same exact situation and am looking to use the ipad as my primary connection. however, i do a lot of heavy downloading and am afraid verizon might throttle my line if they see this, so i will likely keep my existing uverse line at home.

20. Lodoss macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

Well if you read the phonenews article they pointed out that Verizon is planning to start throttling LTE at some point my guess is as soon as the LTE iPhone launches.

21. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

definetly

22. Grizzlby macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me if this LTE sim switching works in reverse? I have a Verizon LTE iPad and want a data-only plan for a phone.

Can I take my iPad sim, put it into a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, and have my $30 2GB LTE work? I've already ditched a traditional cell plan in favor of VoIP on the iPad + a headset, but I need something a little more portable.

23. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

^ THAT

the wifi at hotels is so horrendous, that it can't even support a VPN connection without disconnecting.

during the day it's fine, but when everyone comes back to their rooms for the evening it becomes worse than dial up (usually around 8pm or so). that's when i switch to my iPhone 4S wifi 3G tethering

24. aneftp thread starter macrumors 601

Yes u can switch LTE devices anyway u want. U will be limited to 2gb data of ur iPad LTE sim.