Verizon AirCard vs iPhone as hotspot

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snowwing, Jan 14, 2011.

1. snowwing macrumors member

snowwing

I currently use a Verizon aircard, USB760 with a wireless router when we are using our motorhome and don't come close to using the 5 gigs allowed. Should I assume, if I switched to Verizon's iPhone that my data speeds would be identicle?
    We currently have Verizon wireless phone service and like it. I could probably save quite a bit of money if I combined the service with iPhone providing Verizon's data plans are not outrageous..
    Most of my aircard use is not close to a major city. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Ron

2. 1999ncsu macrumors newbie

You won't be able to talk on the phone and use the data at the same time. It is up to you to determine if this is a deal breaker.

It would drain the battery, so I would keep it plugged in.

I don't have a motor home, but I have done this tailgating with verizon and a droid incredible. Worked just fine, but I don't spend a whole lot of time talking on the phone.

3. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I wouldn't assume this. You never know, the iPhone may add some additional latency. I'd bet you could turn it on for a month, test and then turn it back off if you don't like the results.

5. jbro1999 macrumors regular

I would do it.

I have the verizon aircard from work for my home PC. (don't have the internet.) But since AT&T speeds are faster where I live, I haven't used my aircard in 5 months. I use my iPhone (jailbroken) as a hot spot and it is very easy to do.

6. secondhandloser macrumors member

Agreed-- the iPhone will almost certainly add latency. It may not be huge, but especially in areas without top notch service, you will notice a slower overall connection via the phone.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Of course, all this being said...the money savings may be worth it.

Just have to test and see if you can live with the results in exchange for the savings.