Verizon Alternate Upgrade (iPhone) Confirmed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vice92, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Vice92 macrumors regular

Hey,

I've seen a few threads about how to upgrade to an iPhone on Verizon by taking an upgrade from another line. I just completed the process, so I would like to share my experience.

The primary account holder on my Family Plan was eligible for an upgrade ( +$100 off, sweet!) and my line was not. But I wanted an iPhone to replace my original BB Storm. So..

I went to verizonwireless.com and clicked buy iPhone 4. It then brought me to a page showing all the line and which were eligible for upgrades. I choose the primary account holders, choose my iPhone 4, choose my plan features (internet package), got my $100 off, and off I was. Free overnight shipping, awesome.

Then, when the phone arrived. I plugged it into iTunes, activating it.

Then, I went onto MyVerizon, went to Activate Device, and reactivated the old phone on the primary line, deactivating the iPhone.

Then, you repeat the same thing, except after hitting activate device, choose the line you want the iPhone on, and put in the MEDI. For me, I could not do this online for whatever reason, so I had to call Customer Service. Took at whole 10 minutes, no big deal.

And that's it! The primary line's contract was extended, mine was not. Therefore, my upgrade eligibility is still in tact. This was one of the main concerns of the threads I saw.

If you have any questions, post here!

Btw, I love the iPhone! No problems so far!

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Using upgrade from one line of a family plan for a different line on the plan is done all the time - on all carriers (at least in the US).

I've done it probably 3 times for my AT&T family plan to upgrade certain lines to newer phones (easy with a SIM swap) and recently with my 2-line Verizon account.

Not sure why people would think it couldn't be done...

But glad you like your new phone.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

That is why I like ATT better in regards to upgrades. When I buy iPhone 5 this summer, I will pop my sim card out of my iPhone 4 and put it into iPhone 5. Then it works! :D Much easier process, though your story is not bad. Enjoy the phone!

4. snakelda macrumors 6502

Same for me. I also had to call Verizon for them to activate it on my primary line and I dialed *228 and pressed 1 and done!Took less than 10 minutes.Very easy.

5. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did anyone else who used an alternative upgrade have problems with FaceTime afterwards?

6. Vice92 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. After my iPhone was activated, FaceTime quickly followed suit.