Verizon Alternative to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fishniw, May 14, 2009.

1. fishniw macrumors regular

Obviously the iPhone is not carried on Verizon so I am looking for other options.

Biggest Priorities
    1. Camera (preferably 3 megapixel or higher)
    2. Messaging
    3. Phone OS

Tried the Samsung Omnia out today and it had way to much lag.

I'm not opposed to waiting, so if something new is in the rumor mill I'd be happy to wait

2. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

The Blackberry Curve has actually been in the #1 spot for a while now, so I assume they must be doing something right.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You should wait until the new iPhone is announced to see if there is any truth to the rumor of a "lesser" iPhone that will run on Verizon.

My sister has a Curve and I wanted to chuck that thing out the window after 10 seconds. The browser is just awful and the OS is like figuring out cold fusion. OK, not really, but it wasn't "tap SMS icon and send text message" simplicity.

My brother in law likes the Samsung Eternity on AT&T, but I don't think it's available on Verizon.

After looking on Verizon's Web site, I can't personally recommend anything. I haven't heard much good about the Storm, and everything else looks kinda junky. You might try CNet to see if there are any good reviews.

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

Blackberry Storm might make a decent alternative if you're tied to Verizon. I used one and found the clicking touch screen to be annoying, but overall it was usable where a lot of other phones just aren't.

5. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

If you want a smartphone and syncing with your Mac, the blackberry is going to be your only real choice. LGs will not sync with your Mac. Blackberrys will need TheMissingSync software (~$40) for syncing.

If you don't want a smartphone, take a look at the Moto Krave. There's a free isync plugin floating around out there that's not perfect, but seems to work well enough.

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Storm 2

Verizon is coming out with the Storm 2 this summer/fall.

[​IMG]

here is the story at Crackberry.com: http://crackberry.com/exclusive-first-look-blackberry-storm-2

I'd say thats a good iPhone alternative. My friend with the current storm says the click screen is super easy to get used to. And you can't beat their e-mail system.

It also has a 3.2 mega pixel camera for you.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No way, I tried one, it was slow, buggy the screen was awful because of that funky click screen. So far as I hear, 50% of the people who buy one, return it. I'd not consider the storm as a viable alternative to the iPhone by a long shot.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I would read this
    Thread about the Storm 1st before getting the Storm.
    My wife had that and you can't get apps for that like a smart phone. It was ok, but once my wofe went form the Dare to the iPhone she now hates the Dare and it wasn't great at all.

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'll pitch in and say my friend got the Storm back in February and seemed pretty happy with it. Not talked to him about it since then though.

11. palmtree macrumors newbie

Curve

The curve may not be what you're looking for... I've had a verizon curve 8330 for a long time and really like it but your #1 item was camera -- the curve has a crappy 2 MP camera that frequently takes poor shots in anything other than perfect conditions. As for messaging and phone -- hard to beat this thing and "the network". In the US - cities and rural, I can't remember not having a connection or having a dropped call in years (except inside large buildings). Call quality is good and messaging/email is very fast. Browsing on EVDO (the verizon equivalent of 3g) is reasonably fast and its available in just about any city and near highways. In any location, there are always people who find one network or another better but most of the complaints I hear about verizon are about price and locking features rather than call quality and connections. The GPS is basically locked - you can use verizon navigator and blackberry maps but nothing else (like google maps) -- all other programs just get cell tower localization. The blackberry is a little less of a music/video product and more of a phone/messaging/email/basic browser product. The verizon curve is very limited internationally as there is no gsm component. One last thing to consider is that the curve models really vary a lot in features by carrier so you have to look at the carrier's curve and not a random one.

12. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

The Voyager 2 should theoretically be out before the end of this year, if you're into that. It may be branded as the enV Touch, however.

13. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I have a Dare and its been great since last summer. The touch screen is very responsive and its an overall great phone!

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My wife had the Dare and I had the Voyager and they are good phones but for emailing and stuff they are not easy to use or read and the internet wasn't great either. They are in no way a smart phone by any means. The Voyager was too sensitive where it would "click" stuff I didn't want open as I was scrolling.

15. Anfernee macrumors newbie

HTC Diamond is about the only thing in that league that comes to mind.

16. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

ALERT!!!

Sorry, just had to get your attention before you bought the Storm. I recommend you wait for the Storm 2 that will solve most of the hardware issues with the current Storm.

17. The General macrumors 601

It might fix some hardware issues, but it won't fix poor design.

18. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

they're supposedly getting rid of the clickable screen

19. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yeah, according to EngadgetMobile, RIM will be forgoing the SurePress tech this time around.

20. gvegastiger macrumors regular

That clickable screen is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I tried it out and hated it. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be monkey stomped. Who wants to listen to a click every time they tap the screen?

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Appearantly BlackBerry users :).

Trading my iPhone for a Curve 8900 if 3.0 doesn't live up to my expectations however.

22. App1€ macrumors regular

Hold out a bit longer even if it doesn't live up to it because I remember hearing of quite a few phones coming out. Especially if you don't mind jumping from AT&T

23. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hi. What was the lag? Where, and slow as compared to what? Thanks!

Otherwise, the Omnia sounds like a good match for your camera desire.

(I sure wish Verizon would come out with a version of the Omnia HD! But not even a rumor yet.)

24. strachan macrumors newbie

Question Should Be: Why No iPhone on Verizon????

What we need to do in this country is abolish all the exclusive deals the phone companies make with the manufacturers. This is not the way it works in other countries, as I understand it; in fact, a court in France ruled Apple could NOT make an exclusive deal with one particular carrier there. In Europe (and Asia?), one can use any phone on any carrier--and that's the way it should be, IMO. Wouldn't it be better for everyone--customers and carriers and manufacturers--if we could use the phone we want with the carrier we want?

I have two iPod touch, and I would love to have an iPhone. But I refuse to do business with AT&T, and Verizon's coverage is much better in my area. Please, Verizon, get me the iPhone!!! Please, Apple, release it to any carrier who wants it!!!

25. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

LOL in that link...
    hahah i'm sorry but that just sounds funny to me:D