Verizon and iPhone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BGTHEMOGUL, Oct 20, 2011.

1. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

Quick question maybe someone can help me out with. If I'm currently out of contract with Verizon and I also have an upgrade available that I've had for almost a year now and I go get the iPhone 4s will that use my upgrade or will I get the 2 year contract price simply for signing a new contract with them?

Ideally I'd like to get the 2 year price just for signing a new contract with them and keep my available upgrade free to use still in case the iPhone 5 comes out middle of next year.

Anybody know?

2. Pravius macrumors regular

If you are a current customer, and have a phone activated it will use your upgrade. If you open another line on the account you can avoid using your upgrade but that's the only way how.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you put it on your existing number, it will use your upgrade.

4. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

If you want it for the 2 year price, you have to use your upgrade and sign a 2 year contract. Why would verizon let you get upgrade pricing and then let you keep your upgrade?

5. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok it's funny that they don't treat it like a new customer being the fact you're free to leave and go to any provider you wish. Was really hoping it wouldn't use the upgrade and you'd get the 2 year price just like any new customer since essentially you're in the same shoes as them.

----------

Maybe because you're no longer in a contract with them just like anybody new considering coming on board with Verizon? :rolleyes:

6. Pravius macrumors regular

I mean I guess you could leave and come back, but then you will still be in the same situation. All the larger cell carriers do this..

7. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Right if you leave and come back you got the 2 year contract price but since you're a "new customer" you don't have upgrade eligibility yet. Kind of a catch 22 situation. They sure know how to get us on every angle!

8. Pravius macrumors regular

It does suck. Hnoestly I have opened a third line for $10/mth. I never use the line however I have used it for upgrades before. I typically use it to make some money upgrade then sell on ebay. Helps also put the $100/year back in my pocket

9. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

What is the process of adding a line and how does it work? It's just an extra $10 per month on your bill and you can get new devices at the 2 year contract pricing without having upgrades available?

10. Pravius macrumors regular

No you still have to wait for the upgrades. Between my line, my fiancee's line, and this line, if my timing is right I can get new devices pretty quickly using the upgrades on the account. My fiancee prefers using ****** phones and she has had her current one for like 4 years.

You can open lines online, through verizons website or by calling customer service.

This is not the most efficent way, but I am addicted to technology.

11. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought the purpose of adding a new line is you're treated as a new customer and you receive the 2 year contract pricing on a new device for that line. At least that's what I've gotten out of the threads I've read on here discussing it. Thought I saw people using that tactic to get around paying the full retail price for a device.

12. Joshitect macrumors member

I assume currently you have just one phone line right?

You need to sign a 2 year contract to get the discount on any new phone. Once you do that it will be 18 months before you can upgrade again and receive the discount. They use that 2 year contract to pay for the phone.

It would be silly to add a second line now. Just upgrade and when the 5 comes out add a second line and get the new phone on that. Then if you want sell the 4S and that should come close to making up the difference.

13. BGTHEMOGUL thread starter macrumors 6502

Right that's what my plan is. I went ahead and upgraded and got the iPhone 4s and now when the iPhone 5 comes out I guess I'll just add a line, sign a 2 year contract on the new line and get the phone at the new contract pricing. That will work correct?